Chapter 66 - Reconnection

Ash let out one final grunt as he placed Greninja's body on the small straw bed that the medic had offered upon seeing Greninja's state. "He's gonna be okay, right?" Ash asked the medic, who was an elderly woman who looked wise and knowledgeable. "Looks like he was damaged pretty badly," the woman responded, tenderly inspecting Greninja's body.

"I'm just not sure if I can inspect him in time," the woman explained to Ash. She looked behind her at a group of people with their injured Pokemon. "We've got villagers here that need help, as well." Sanpei sighed and walked over to the elderly woman. "I must speak with you," he said seriously, earning an eyebrow raise from the old woman.

"Speak, child," the woman responded, standing patiently as Sanpei said, "This Greninja right here is destined to be the Caring One," Sanpei said. The woman's eyes grew wide and she stared at Greninja's limp body on the bed. "This one right here?" She asked incredulously, pulling her hands back as if she had just been burned by Greninja.

Sanpei nodded, causing a complete change in demeanor from the woman. "I'll make sure he recovers," she said, setting down her bag full of local medical supplies and beginning to care for Greninja. Sanpei walked over to a perplexed Ash. "How'd you do that?" Ash asked in awe. Sanpei shrugged his shoulders. "Everyone knows about the tale of Pyroar in this village. I'm sure my brother told you everything?"

Ash nodded, remembering back to the hut right before A had attacked. "Yeah, apparently Greninja and Lucario are supposed to sacrifice themselves," Ash responded sadly. Sanpei sighed and frowned, knowing what Ash was talking about. "Yeah...well..." Sanpei muttered, realizing now the impact of being chosen for this.

"Well, in the village, we call the female Pyroar 'Caring One' and the male Pyroar 'Brave One'," Sanpei explained, earning a small snort from Ash. "Real original," Ash joked, earning a small playful punch from Sanpei. "That's what our ancestors decided on," Sanpei explained, although secretly agreeing that it was quite a boring choice of names.

"So people are expecting Greninja to protect them?" Ash asked while watching the medic apply bandages in certain parts. "Pretty much," Sanpei responded. "We've known that they were supposed to come during a crisis, which seems to be what is happening right now." Ash nodded and was reminded of the last time a crisis had occurred in Kalos, telling himself he was going to stop it before it got to that point.

"Ash!" Ash heard a voice behind him, so he turned around and was faced with Serena. "How's Greninja?" She asked in a caring voice, peeking over Ash's shoulders to get a glimpse of Greninja. Despite the situation, Ash couldn't help but smile at Serena's attitude and admire it. "He's doing fine, Serena," Ash chuckled, rubbing his neck as he spoke. "Thanks for asking."

Serena smiled back at Ash and was surprised as Goh pushed her aside. "Ash, we couldn't find Greninja!" Goh exclaimed, not realizing that Aah had already found him. "I'm sorry, we tried to look as much as-" Goh was interrupted by Ash shaking him by the shoulders. "We already found him, Goh," Ash calmly explained. "Calm down."

Goh blinked a few times before Ash moved, revealing Greninja lying on the straw bed. Goh gasped, seeing the countless bandages on Greninja. "Will he be fine?" He asked Ash, who nodded. "Should be," Ash responded. "For now, at least..." he added in a depressed tone, earning a confused look from Goh.

For now? Goh thought to himself, opening his mouth to question what Ash had said. Before he could ask though, Ash put his hand on Goh's shoulder and said, "I'm really glad you're okay, man. I shouldn't have left you back in Anistar City." He had a hard time getting out that statement, as it had plagued his mind ever since he left.

Goh gave Ash a melancholic smile and responded, "I'm just glad you're back." He put his hand on Ash's shoulder, causing Ash to flinch his arm back and let out a painful grunt. Goh pulled his hand back and quickly apologized. "I'm sorry! I didn't mean to hurt you!"