15

sungchans father had decided it would be a good idea for him to lead the first next mission since the time before he would be crowned became less and less. sungchan had joined a few missions from time to time, but he never led them.

as head of the guards, haechan was always leading the missions, sungchan as his right hand whenever he had joined. this time, it was the other way around.

the day of the mission to help at the borders had arrived. before sungchan left to get his horse, his father and him quickly went through the last information that he needed to know.

when arrived at the stables, his horse was already made ready for the ride towards the border. he got on his stallion as he rode his way towards the meeting place.

he noticed some other people already to be there, one person in particular catching his eye. he felt his heart beat faster at the sight of his soulmate.

stop it

he told himself due to the quickly beating heart. when their eyes met, time seemed to stand still for the young prince, taking in her beauty.

as she turned her head away from him, the boy infront of her spoke up.

"what are you doing here?" renjun asked bitterly

sungchan hadn't expected such a response. the way renjun and aera sat so lovely together made sungchan grow a little jealous.

"is that any way to greet a prince?" sungchan asked coldly, keeping his known reputation for being a cold person.

renjun scoffed at the young prince. "i'm sorry your majesty. could i ask what you are doing here, prince sungchan?"

sungchan felt annoyed at the way renjun spoke to him. they may have hung out 2 times, but he was still his prince. he could have renjun fired the minute he wished so.

"as a soon to be king, i decided to join in" he told the pair honestly, looking at aera only to see she still didn't want to be met by his face.

sungchan sighed and changed his focus to the large group of guards that had gathered around him.

"in only a short amount of time, we're leaving for the eastern borders. there we will help out at the borders and make sure the trading shipment goes right. we will stay there for a week and come back next year to check on it again. you will all get more specific instructions when we arrive. any questions?" sungchan spoke up.

no one dared to raise their hand, scared sungchan would be just like his father. "good, let's start our journey towards the border then" he noted, encouraging his horse to ride away, starting the long trip to the borders.

sungchan looked at the pair in front of him, wondering how he could make it up to aera.

"what's up with you three?" haechan suddenly asked, making sungchan turn his head haechans way. "nothing" he lied.

haechan sighed as he shook his head. "do you think i'm blind? or dumb?"

"yes" sungchan answered with kissing motions.

"shut up rat, i'm talking. but there is this tention between the three of you. i thought you were going along quite nicely with them until you just suddenly had this weird vibe around them"