21

the next day, sungchan woke up early, pumped with adrenaline and nerves. he knew that if he messed this up today, he wouldn't have a next chance. however, he was determined to show her that she wasn't mistaken with giving him this last chance.

he had made his horse ready earlier than the rest, so that if aera came outside to leave, they immediately could. that way they could be alone and not to be bothered by a renjun or a bom. he had written bom a note saying he had to leave a little earlier without her so that she would suspect a thing.

when aera came, sungchan bit his lip nervously. she had smiled at him, making him feel more at ease. he helped her get on the horse and had secured her things before getting on himself and leaving for their way home.

the ride had been one that he hadn't needed to be worried about. it had been a calm and relaxed ride, filled with laughter and joy. aera's arms wrapped around him had given him butterflies, only proving more that he still loved her.

for once in a while, aera's thoughts hadn't been with renjun and what he thought of this. she actually felt joyful with sungchan and wished this moment wouldn't end.

but every moment ends. as they arrived at the castle, a messenger from the king immediately rushed to the young prince. "the king would like to talk to you about the mission" he told her before leaving inside.

sungchan sighed and got off his horse, sticking out his hand to help aera get off as well. she took his hand and smoothly got off with his help.

"i'm sorry but i really need to go to my father, i'll search for you later i promise" he told her as she nodded with a smile. he ran off, feeling happy that it went well, that he hadn't messed it up as he thought he might've would.

as he arrived at his fathers office, he knocked on the door, receiving a "come in". as he got in he walked over to the chair infront of his father and took a seat.

"how did the mission go" his father asked, not looking up from his papers.

"it went well, everything has been done that was needed."

"i heard bom came to visit as well" the king finally looked up from his papers as he said so.

sungchan nodded. "yeah it was a pleasant surprise" he lied. he wished she wouldn't have came at all.

"you two get along well don't you? i even heard bom say you two were soulmates."

the young prince glanced down to his wrist. "yes we are."

"i'm glad to hear that. while you were on your mission, the jeons came by to already plan some things for the wedding and we've came quite far with everything."

sungchan gulped, not liking where this conversation was going.

"we have planned the wedding on wednesday two weeks from now. so your mother wants to pick out a suit for you tomorrow." his father proudly told him.

sungchan bit his lip. "that's great, i can't wait" he lied, trying to sound enthusiastic. "i'll go see if bom has already arrived and tell her immediately" he lied to try and get out of this conversation.

"before you go i want you to know one thing. i'm very proud of you son. i know this isn't easy but i'm very proud of how you are handeling everything. you're going to be a great king." he told him.

sungchan thanked him before walking outside. he felt guilty for making his father falsely proud. if only his father knew how everything really was, he probably would've been disowned by now.

shaking those thoughts away, he tried to find aera, going to mr moons room first. the door opened after he knocked on it, showing his nice teacher. "good evening your highness, what can i do for you?"

"is aera with you perhaps?" he straight up asked him. his teacher shook his head. "no, but she really enjoys being in the garden with renjun lately, maybe she's there with him"

sungchan thanked him and walked towards the garden, hoping she also enjoyed the garden without renjun on her side. when he arrived he was lucky enough to meet her there alone.

"aera!" he yelled, catching her attention as he walked over towards her. her face slightly lit up as he sat next to her, but his face wasn't cheerful at all.

"aera i need to tell you something but i need you to trust me on this. i don't know how yet but i'm going to fix it." he told her, grabbing her hands.

aera raised her brow in confusion. "what is it?"

"my father and boms father have decided we're to be married wednesday two weeks from now, they have already planned out the whole wedding." he told her honestly.

her expression changed, it was set to a disappointed one, as she took her hands back. "how do you think you're going to fix this? you're going to marry her in two weeks!"

sungchan looked down, feeling terrible. he couldn't look her in the eye until an idea shot up in his head. he looked up again. "i have an idea, i know this is going to sound weird but i need you to be at the wedding. i need you to accept the invitation and actually come." he told her.

"are you crazy? you think i would want to see you get married to someone else now that i've finally started to feel like we are meant to be no matter if we still have that mark or not" she told him, feeling hurt by him once more.

"i need you to trust me on this one. i'm not going to lose you again" he told her as he got up.

aera looked down as she said the words she would probably later regret. "fine i'll trust you on this."