23

the day had come.

sungchan stared at his reflection in the mirror, the prince like black suit fitting him perfectly. his eyes turned sad as he remembered what had to be done today. he wanted to be with aera, but disappointing his father was something he'd rather not do.

haechan turned to his best friend and his eyes softened. "don't worry, you'll still be my prince" he tried to cheer him up, carefully placing his hand on the princes shoulder.

sungchan smiled sadly back at him. "i know, that might be the worse part about all of this." he said, giving him back a joke, even though he didn't sound like he was cheering up.

haechan pulled back his hand. "just know that i'm here for you. now stop pitying yourself and start acting like a king. you're getting married" he told the prince, tired of his uncheerful behaviour on such a cheerful day.

sungchan gave himself one last look in the mirror before taking all his courage to open the door to the wedding hall.

———————————————————————————

sungchans eyes flickered over all the people that were sitting in the big church. on the front rows, his and boms family. behind them important people and in the back people from all different villages who wanted to see the prince get married.

his eyes were drawn towards haechan who held his thumb up, making sungchan feel a little less anxious. his body was pumped with nerves, his hands clammy as they shake.

suddenly he noticed mr. moon coming in together with aera. his gaze was trapped on her, his eyes following her every step until she sat down. aera however tried not to look at him. but when she sat, their eyes met.

it made sungchan feel at ease. he forgot about the wedding for a minute, he forgot about their plan. it was as if the world stood still for a minute, for them.

aera didn't know what was about to happen, so she looked away, not wanting to see him waiting at the altar for someone else. as she did so, her eyes fell on renjun who was entering. when they made eye contact, she padded the seat next to her, asking him to sit next to her.

he slowly shook his head and pointed towards all the guards that were sitting with each other. she nodded, faking a smile at him. she knew that their conversation had hurt him, but she didn't want them to end up on bad terms.

suddenly, loud music was heard and everyone looked behind them. the door opened, revealing bom in her beautiful wedding dress. she smiled fakely at everyone as she slowly made her way over to the altar.

she felt the eyes of her family burn into her flesh, the pressure getting bigger. suddenly, she felt unsure if sungchan was actually going to say no. what if he did want this and chenle made this up.

as she arrived at the alter, she grabbed sungchans hand and smiled sweetly at him. she slowly pulled him a little closer. "do you really have a plan? are you really going to say no?" she whispered, trying not to move her mouth to much.

sungchan slowly nodded, softly squeezing her hand. his eyes flickered towards aera one last time before grabbing boms other hand.

the priest cleared his throat, making the audience quiet. "dear kings, knights and farmers. family, friends and nationals. we are gathered here today to see two people and two nations be united together." the older man in white started.