3

sunlight peeked through the curtains as the morning came. the sun rays tickled sungchan's face as he slowly woke up. he fluttered his eyes open, letting his eyes getting used to the bright light.

he thought back at the scene of last night, where a unknown girl had suddenly been there at the balcony. he pushed the thoughts away, feeling like he had more important things to think about.

his eyes wondered to the neatly folded clothes as he slowly got out of bed. he walked over to the pile and got himself dressed. the moment he was done, he heard a knock on the door. he rolled down his sleeve so that the mark on his arm was hidden. "come in"

a young maid opened the door and came into his room. she opened the curtains for him and made his bed. "is there anything i could do for you sir?" she asked him politely. the young boy shook his head. she bowed to the young prince before walking out of his room.

sungchan sighed. his eyes wondered to the big windows, the curtains softly moving through the air. the sight was breath taking, the sun giving a beautiful glow to the view. from his window, he could watch the town from afar. every party could be seen by the prince, but the people at the party never saw him.

another knock was heard on the door, but before sungchan could say anything the door was already opnemen. "your highness, breakfast is ready for you in the dining room" one of the servants said. sungchan nodded after which the servant left. after giving one last glance in the mirror, the young prince left his room to eat with his parents.

he enjoyed walking through the corridors of the palace, looking at all the paintings on the wall. he tended to do the same a lot when he couldn't sleep.

when he arrived at the dining room, the doors were opened for him. he took his seat on the right side of his father. his father was placed at the head of the table, with his mother on the left side of him.

a plate filled with nicely made breakfast is put infront of sungchan. he thanked the servant before taking a bite.

"sungchan, dear" his mother started. sungchan looked up from his plate. "we have something that we need to talk about" she continued, forcing a smile. she looked at her husband, showing him that he should take over the conversation.

"right, yes" the king mumbled before clearing his throat. "there's this kingdom, the jeon kingdom" he said, taking a little break to think about his exact words. "we've recently decided that we want to start trading with them"

sungchan nodded at his father, wondering why he was telling him this.

"but they want a sign of loyalty. so we decided on a little deal. the king and queen have a beautiful daughter of your age. her name is jeon bom." sungchan held his breath hearing these words. he already knew where they were going. "we think she'll be a very good match for you"

the young boy turned to his mother. "the deal was an arranged marriage isn't it?" he asked, pain heard in his voice. his mother nodded slowly. "jaehyun also had an arranged marriage and he's very happy right now" she said, hoping it would make her son feel better.

"but i'm not jaehyun am i?" he exclaimed, raising his voice. "i don't want a life decided by you, i want to make my own decisions on who to marry and what to do!"

"don't raise your voice at me" his father said sternly. "you are a to be king and a king does what he needs to do no matter what he has to sacrifice. even if that sacrifice is doing things he dislikes"

sungchan slowly stood up from his seat. "please excuse me" he mumbled before walking out of the dining room.

———————————————————————————

"how can they be so heartless" the young prince complained to his best friend. "they didn't even care to ask me what i would think about it before agreeing to king jeon"

"that's kind of the whole point of an arranged marriage though" haechan said, playing with his sword.

"you're not really helping you know" sungchan mumbled, rolling his eyes.

"you're welcome, my dear beloved highness who i would give my life for to protect" the young guard exclaimed, ending his playful act with a bow.

sungchan shook his head but couldn't help the smile that creeped onto his face. "you better protect me, or i'll get you fired" he answered to haechans bad acting.

"you won't" haechan said while sticking out his tongue. "but on a more serious matter-"

he got cut off "you're never serious"

"shut up chan chan" haechan spit out, leaving sungchan disgusted by the nickname. "anyway, i think you should give the princess a chance. maybe she is your soulmate, who knows"

sungchans smile fell at the thought of the marriage. "yeah i suppose so..."

but what if she isn't?