27

sungchan angrily wiped his papers off his desk, holding it as he looked down at the now messy place. he clenched his jaw at the thought of the cafe earlier.

the moment he saw her sitting so close to him, his hand on her shoulder, it hurt him. haechan had made him realise he might've been a little harsh on her, making him want to apologise to her with her favorite tart, but that scene had ruined it for him. didn't she see renjun was trying to take her away from him?

a knock was heard on the door, making his head shoot up. the door opened, revealing his little sister in the doorway.

her eyes danced over the papers and how messy it looked. how messy her brother looked. she gulped before entering the room. "your hair looks good this messy" she started, trying to lighten the mood.

sungchan sighed, dropping himself on the chair behind him. "thanks.. i guess" he mumbled.

the pair stayed silent for a while, sungchan looking outside as eunhye tried to think of the right words.

"i'm sorry about what happened at the bakery" she slowly tried.

sungchans eyes softened as he looked at his sister. "it's not your fault. you couldn't know"

eunhye pointed towards a chair infront of the desk. "can i?" sungchan nodded, making eunhye sit down.

"do you want to tell your little sister what happened?" she asked with a cute voice and a pout.

sungchan raised a brow, thinking about it for a minute, but finally gave in. "fine sure, i trust you"

"so it all happened some time ago, when i first met aera, i actually met her by accident. but you could kind of say it was love at first sight, her being my soulmate and all. but most times after, she was together with renjun. in the meantime father had arranged me to be married to princess jeon bom, making this thing pretty difficult. so due to that, i guess you could say i broke aera's heart a few times, renjun always being the one to heal it even before i had the chance. one time it got so bad, that our soulmate marks changed to others, linking her and renjun together. but i proved to her that my love for her wasn't a joke by breaking the arranged marriage in such a way that peace was kept. we fled to a little cottage to finally be together in peace, but when we heard father was dying we came back . i guess renjun is taking advantage of how busy i am by hanging around aera all the time again."

"you know renjun is also her soulmate right?" eunhye carefully told her brother.

sungchan frowned his brows and immediately checked his arm to see if his mark had changed once again. "but i still have the mark"

"well, jaemin told us that almost everyone has two soulmates, but since it's already difficult enough to find of them, most of the time the second one isn't found. the mark that the person has at that moment is the person they love most. but since renjun also has been her soulmate, it's clear that he's her second soulmate."

sungchan stood up. "i- i need somewhere to be, sorry" he mumbled while walked out of the office. he couldn't believe what he had just been told. he walked straight towards the training compound, wanting to talk to haechan about everything.

when he arrived, he remembered haechan being on a mission. he frowned and dropped down against a wall. he bit the inside of his lip as he tried to fight tears falling down.

he knew that the fact that renjun was another soulmate of aera shouldn't bother him, but he couldn't help the stinging feeling inside. she had chosen for renjun before, so she could chose him again.

he clenched his jaw and went through his hair as it got harder to fight the tears. he heard footsteps coming closer but he ignored it, not feeling like talking to someone right now.

"hey"

sungchan glared up, being met with a smirk given by renjun. he felt anger boil inside of him.

"so i don't know if you've heard, but turns out i'm aera's soulmate too. the game isn't over yet"

those words were enough for sungchan to explode with anger. he jumped up and grabbed renjun by the collar. "why do you need aera so bad? she was happy with me until you came along!" sungchan yelled out

renjun pushed sungchan away. "i have always been with her, we've been friends since forever. you're the one that came along!"

"just like you said, you're friends! nothing more! stop trying to make her fall for you when she obviously only wants you as a friend! you're ruining your whole friendship!"

renjun launched his fist as the prince, who dodged it with ease, head locking him as result.

"you'll never make her as happy as i could! you're only breaking her heart!" renjun spit out, struggling to get out of sungchans tight grip.

wanting to get out, he stomped his elbow into sungchans stomach. as sungchan released renjun, he fell to the ground in pain.

"only because of you- and i hate you for that" sungchan tried to bring out through the pain.

"well, i'll let you feel how much i hate you for having aera" renjun said before he slammed sungchan in the face with his fist. at that moment another guard came onto the training grounds, noticing how renjun was beating up the crown prince.

"hey! stop that!" the guard yelled at renjun, who didn't listen out of anger. the guard ran up to the fighting pair and grabbed renjun.

sungchan tried to slowly get up, wanting to ignore the pain to maintain his tough and cold image.

"you're arrested for using violence against the royal family" the guard told renjun as he took him away.

"you will regret this sungchan!" renjun yelled at him as he tried to struggle against it.