X

To neon_ninja321 - for loving the little cute things

A scream ripped through the night, and Legolas buried his head in his hands, wanting desperately to shut out her screams and moans of pain - just as much as he didn't want to see her body convulsing on the bed as his father watched her silently, not lifting a finger to do anything.

As another scream tore out of her throat, he got up on his feet – looking towards the bed for the first time in the last hour he saw her body arch up from the mattress in pain, her fingers clutched so tightly into fists by her sides that they were turning white.

'Why aren't you doing anything!'

Ha paced over to the bed, his eyes flitting from Arya to his father. Thranduíl's hands were folded together in front of him, and his eyes had been resting on the girl since his son had carried her inside the tent and placed her on his bed.

'ADAR! (FATHER!)' His gaze moved from the girl onto his son slowly, waiting patiently for him to continue. "Have you heard nothing of what I have said?"

'Legolas-'

'Baw! (No/don't)' Legolas interrupted him before he could say another word. 'You have done nothing to help her. You agreed to help her- you agreed to help me!'

'Ionneg! (son)' Thranduíl raised his voice slightly, his right hand raised to silence his seething son. 'I have done nothing, because I am trying to figure out what to do. I cannot just go blindly in and do something – as it might only cause her more pain.'

Legolas looked at his father for a long time before he said anything. Thinking he would not say anything at all, Thranduíl looked back at the girl, his hands moving slightly to hover over her forehead.

'Too warm...' He mumbled to himself, pulling his hands back to their former position.

'Goheno nin (forgive me), I was wrong to despair.' Legolas said softly, his eyes moving from his father towards Arya again. 'Is there anything I can do to help you? To – to help her?'

Thranduíl looked up again, meeting his son's eyes for a moment before looking down at the girl. 'You can calm her down. I cannot do anything, if her skin is so hot that I cannot touch her at all. It is the dragon part of her, and I am not capable of controlling that'

'How?'

Looking up once again Thranduíl saw the helpless look on his son's face. For the first time in a long time Thranduíl took the time to actually look at his son, acknowledge the obvious feelings that were hovering near the surface each time he looked towards the girl on the bed. Exhaling slowly he walked around the bed, placing his hands on his son's shoulders and turning him so that they were face to face. 'Do what what you did last time.'

When he saw that Legolas did not understand, he allowed a small smile to curve the corners of his lips, 'talk to her.'

Giving his son a soft push towards the bed, he turned around slowly, making his way out of the tent to give his son some space. He had barely made it to the tent flaps before Legolas' soft voice reached out towards him: 'Adar..' Looking over his shoulder Thranduíl saw his son place a hand over his heart before stretching it out towards him in a sign of respect and gratitude. Copying his actions, Thranduíl bowed his head slightly, before disappearing out into the night.

* * *

"How is she?" Gandalf walked up to the elven king silently, stopping as he reached his side. Thranduíl looked over towards him and met his eyes briefly before setting his gaze on the mountain again.