XIX

Dedicated to Articwillow13 - for going back and reading it again as she waited for my updates (sorry for being slow! D: )

Thranduíl stepped silently up besides her as she looked across the plains to the ruined entrance of Erebor. From her vantage point she could see elves, men and dwarves working together to clear the fields of the fallen, enemies and friends. The enemies were all dragged across the fields and put in tall piles as far away from the camps as possible before they were lit on fire unceremoniously. As she had been standing there for a long time she had watched as Thranduíl walked besides the fallen elves, bending down at each and everyone's side to wish them safe passing and for the Valar to protect them on their journey.

The men and dwarves had different customs, customs she couldn't understand completely but nevertheless respected. The men seemed to accept grieving more than the dwarves, publicly crying alongside their fallen friends. The dwarves huddled together around their fallen, paying each and every soldier with their respect. The elves were far more reserved about their grief, their fallen were carefully carried away and put on carriages that were later pulled by horses back to Mirkwood, where their traditions could be carried out and the dead put to rest.

"Where is my son?" Thranduíl broke the silence, and she looked over towards him with furrowed eyebrows, he chuckled quietly before he offered her a small smile. "Do not act like he doesn't follow you around like a forlorn elk whenever you are around."

Laughing at his comparison she shrugged her shoulders, telling him Legolas had still been asleep when she left the room. She offered her condolences about the elk that had been his companion throughout the years.

"I apologize for the way I have behaved around you."

Arya turned towards him in surprise, finding the elven king with a utmost sincere look on his face, his hands clasped gently together in front of him. "Now... I do not apologize often so pay attention." He offered her a small smile before continuing, Arya found herself stupefied by the whole thing and kept silent, her eyes wide as she listened to him. "When my son first brought you to my fortress I could see his interest in you straight away. And then I realized you had powers, powers I could not even begin to understand. You think that I am greedy, and I am, but my interest in you was not about greed. It had more to do with my son's interest in you. Do you know he has never shown interest in any elleth (female elf) as he grew up? His naneth (mother) dreamed of him getting bonded and experience the joy of birthing a child."

"She would not be pleased with me then. I am neither an elleth nor am I sure I can have children, let alone if I want them. They would probably come out with claws and pointy teeth..." Her voice faltered as she lost herself to her thoughts until Thranduíl's voice brought her back, "you do not wish for children?"

"Look, I don't even know what is going on between me and your son," Arya replied holding her hands up slightly.

Thranduíl laughed quietly once again surprising Arya with his comeback. "I am aware you are denser than the average ork when it comes to the feelings of others, but it cannot have taken you this long to realize how my son feels about you."

"Have you ever thought that I might have pulled away from your son because I am unsure of my powers? Because I have very little control, and when I do have control of the... monster inside of me I am aware of it just simmering underneath my skin, practically bursting to get out. It terrifies me that I don't know what is inside me. Other than the name, nobody seems to know anything other about my species then that they are to be feared. Do you know what that feels like? Every guard of yours are tip-toeing around me because they fear I am going to annihilate them, Thranduíl."

"That can be changed. As you interrupted my apology, I will cut it short and offer you a place to stay where you can research your past. I have no doubt that Lego-"