XVII

To IrishChick237 – because I'm taking a guess and say she's Irish, and I am going to Ireland in May. 

***

            Where are your clothes?

It was as if the whole world stopped as Legolas eyes moved down to hers, a furious blush on his cheeks – and then she looked down.

Oh Valar.

Eyes widening she wrapped her arms around her chest before she crouched down, her own face flaming.

Legolas bent down and untied his own feet, glancing around them to make sure that the orks were still keeping their distance. They both avoided looking at each other, her eyes kept firmly on the ground in front of her while his flickered from the rope around his feet to their surroundings. Once free he walked over to her and crouched down directly in front of her.

            "Arya," he mumbled softly, his right hand softly cupping her cheek as he lifted her head from her knees – "what are you doing here?"

            "Naked, you mean?" She chuckled quietly as he blushed again, her eyes flickering up to meet his for a second before looking down again.

            Stand up, Darkling.

Her eyes widened at the voice in her head, momentarily forgetting that Smaug was dead so this could not be him.

            Listen, child. Stand up.

            "Arya?" Legolas placed his hands upon her shoulders, his eyes worried as she suddenly got up on her feet, her arms resting by her sides and no longer covering herself. "Arya, what's wrong?"

            Clear your mind – do not pay attention to anything around you.

Breathing out she did what he demanded. Faintly hearing Legolas' voice but not paying any attention to what he was saying.

            Good, now focus on your scales; imagine them covering your body – this body, your human body.

Doing as the voice said she focused intently on her scales – imagining what they had looked like earlier when Legolas had unwrapped her wounds. She imagined the dark blue scales and how they had wrapped around her shoulder and side as a second skin almost.

            Well done, child. You will learn quickly.

As the voice faded from her mind she opened her eyes – immediately searching for Legolas. She was surprised to find him several steps away from her, his eyes moving up and down her body at a rapid pace.

She looked down herself and saw that her body was now covered in scales – from the top of her shoulders and down to the soles of her feet. Lifting her hand she saw that it was thicker some places, almost like an armor.

            "Arya... How did you-"

            "I don't know," she interrupted him, her eyes looking up only to meet his instantly. "There was a voice, telling me what to do. I... I don't know Legolas."

An arrow came out of nowhere and hit her in the back, making her stumble forwards.

            "ARYA!"

Legolas was at her side momentarily, his arms grasping her shoulders.

            "I... I'm fine." She said softly pulling away from his grip. Turning around he did not see a scratch on her back, even though he had clearly seen the arrow hit her. "Legolas." Turning around she met his eyes and cupped his face between her hands – "I'm fine. Promise."