IV

To wolfsbane75 - for commenting more than once, always with encouragements.

Slowly, Legolas walked towards her. As a growl slipped through her lips he stopped momentarily, and noticed how her eyes were trained on something a little over his shoulder. His bow and quiver, he realized, and slowly making sure that she saw he meant no harm to her he slid them over his head and lowered them to the ground, before he gently pushed them away across the floor with his foot. Slowly standing up again he watched for a couple of seconds in silence, until he noticed that her shoulders seemed less tense, her eyes once again calming until only a flicker of the orange fire was visible.

"Av'osto (do not be afraid)," he said quietly, walking up until he was right in front of her, only a couple of centimeters between them. "I want to help you. Will you let me? I will not let them harm you any more."

"Gwestog (do you promise?)" Her voice was quivering, almost like she was struggling to maintain control over herself.

"I give you my promise as the Prince of Mirkwood. No harm will come to you if you come with me."

"Your title means little to me, princeling," she snarled, the fire in her eyes flickering dangerously.

"I have given you no reason to mistrust me," Legolas continued calmly, taking a chance he stepped closer until his mouth was hovering right next to her ear: "I cannot help you unless you calm down and trust me."

"I can't," she gritted through her teeth. "It is as if something has taken control over my body."

--------

"Look at me." Legolas commanded, making Arya snap her eyes open again, fighting to remain in control over whatever was making her body shake and her skin feel like it was on fire.

"Try breathing calmly," he slowly ordered, his eyes staying focused on hers as she tried to obey his command. He reached forwards then, almost putting his hands on her shoulders but she flinched back.

"I'll burn you!"

She could feel the control slipping away as the guards stepped closer, acting out of fear for their prince. Seeing her distress, and the orange flames flickering to life again in her eyes Legolas lifted his arms, his eyes not leaving hers: ı "Daro (stop/halt)!"

The guards stopped at once, no doubt hearing the tone of his voice.

"Do not be foolish, Legolas." Thranduil said, and Arya could feel the fire surging under her skin.

Ignoring his father Legolas once again moved his hands towards my shoulders. "Estelio nin (trust me), I believe you won't hurt me." He sounded so sure of himself, and Arya took a deep breath, closing her eyes, trying to calm herself down.

"Open your eyes," Legolas said softly, and she carefully opened one eye, looking up at him unsurely, but quickly opening the other eye as she saw the big smile on his face. With wide eyes she followed his right arm, right from his shoulder and down to his hand that was gently resting on her shoulder. "See?" The smile didn't falter from his face, "agoreg vae (you did well)."

---------

Turning around, his hand still resting on her shoulder Legolas glared at his father.

"Take her back to her cell." Thranduil only waved them off, indifferent to his son's glare. Legolas gave a small bow before he gently moved his hand off of Arya's shoulder and down until he could gently guide her by nudging the small of her back. He gave her an assuring smile as she glanced up at him, quickly escorting her out of the inquisitive eyes of their onlookers.

Turning onto the stairs he guided her down a different set of stairs than she had walked up with Thranduil, and she glanced up at Legolas questioningly. Legolas only shook his head slightly and motioned for her to keep silent.

Quietly they threaded down the stairs and into a small room filled with various clothes, armor and weapons.

"Take whatever clothes you feel comfortable with, and armor if you wish it." Legolas had already walked across the room and started packing some belongings into a bag. "Your skin is quite cool now, so there should be no problem." Feeling a blush cover her cheeks as she realized he had touched her quite intimately only a few moments ago she bowed her head, concealing her face with her long hair. "You should find some weapons as well," Legolas continued: "but choose wisely, and not more than you can carry. We should travel lightly."

"Man cereg (what are you doing)?" Arya asked quietly. "Your father will not be pleased."

"It is about time I go for another adventure," Legolas looked over his shoulder at her, a mischievous sparkle in his eyes as his lips curved upwards. "My father had no right in treating you like he did. You are my captive, and therefore I will take you with me."

A smile grew onto her face, and as she tightened the belt she had found around her waist she walked over to him and lightly touched his shoulder before placing the same hand over her heart in a sign of respect: "Le fael (thank you), I did not expect such kindness when you captured my companions and I in the woods."

"Peditham hi sui vellyn (may we speak as friends from now on)?" His request struck her as an odd one, but she could do nothing but nod her head as he smiled bashfully at her, the twinkle in his blue eyes making something stir deep inside of her.

Legolas smiled wider at the small inclining of her head and strapped his favourite bow to his back, nestling it carefully between the twin blades and over the quiver filled with arrows. He noticed she had picked up the same weapons as well, and was struggling with strapping on the harness of the twin blades around her body. Gently he tugged the straps from her hands before he carefully fastened them for her. Noticing the small blush that covered her cheeks he bit down a smile and turned around, grabbing the small backpack and gesturing for her to follow.

It had been a long time since he had disobeyed his father's command to such an extent. But when he had gazed upon Arya in that small room with almost nothing to cover herself with - surrounded by guards and his own father - he had vowed to himself that she would never be put in that spot again. Sadly, he also knew his father was too keen on knowing what the markings on her back meant. Do not be mistaken, Legolas wanted to know what they meant himself, but he did not think Arya was lying about her past. He truly believed she had no idea, and he'd be damned if his father was going to poke and prod at her until she would lose that fiery spark within her. He would not have any of it.

So in the shade of the night they left. Mutely agreeing to chase after the dwarves, orcs and one burglar hobbit.

I'm sorry for all the waiting and this short chapter, but I had to stop it there to not make it stop in the middle of something else in next chapter.

So what do you think so far? Yay? Nay?