Epilogue

Dedicated to - Every single one of you that has read, voted and commented. I love you all unconditionally.

Legolas screamed until his voice was hoarse. Until he had no more voice to scream with. Tears fell rapidly from his eyes as his fingers fisted on the ground, his hands pounding mercilessly into the mountain as he wept.

Hands bloodied and eyes red was how his father found him. The stones by his knees covered with drops of blood as he tiredly kept clawing and hitting it.

            "Ionneg (my son)," he whispered. His voice speaking of the sadness only a father could feel about seeing his son this way.

            "She left." Legolas chocked on the words, his voice to weak to utter them correctly but Thranduíl understood them either way. "Adar, she left me."

Hearing his son so broken brought Thranduíl to the ground. And for the first time in centuries he wrapped his son up in his arms, holding him so tightly that he could no longer hit the ground.

            "It hurts."

Thranduíl did not tell him to quiet down, only held him tighter. "If this is what it felt like when naneth (mother) died, how could you keep yourself from fading? It hurts."

            "Look at me." Thranduíl commanded, releasing his hold on Legolas but holding onto his shoulders as if to keep him level. "You will not fade. Do you hear me? When your naneth passed I stayed alive - for you. And now, you will do me the same honor. I will not have my only child pass before me. Not like this. I know it hurts, and I am not going to tell you that it will stop in the future, but you will heal. In her own way, Arya did what she found best, and though you might not understand it now, know this; she is still alive Legolas. And as long as she is alive there is hope for you to find her again. And we will find her. That I promise."

Thranduíl could see the little elfling Legolas once had been when he looked into his eyes.

            "We will find her." Thranduíl promised again, "and when we do I will lock her into one of the cells in our dungeon until she agrees to stay."

A slight curl at the ends of Legolas lips made Thranduíl know he would be fine.

He had listened.

*            *            *

Legolas felt the tear in his soul for years - decades even. If he was going to be completely honest with himself he did not think the tear would ever go away, no matter what happened.

The sun was glaring down at him as he searched over the fields, looking for any signs of life. He had been searching for a long time, and decades had passed in between the few whispers he had heard about his Arya. First she had been seen up north, then down south. He didn't seem to move fast enough. Could never anticipate her moves.

He narrowed his eyes as he glanced towards the sun, the day so similar to the day she had left. A day where the sun had shone brightly in the sky and there had not been a single cloud in the sky.

Long had he wondered how the Valar had deemed it appropriate to have the weather seem so joyous on a day with such sadness? On the day when he had lost almost everything he held dear. Why had the skies not been filled with clouds that were pouring rain - much like tears were pouring from his eyes as his heart and soul wept.

Pulling up the sleeve of his tunic he glanced down at the mark on his arm, the small dragon that seemed alive on his skin. It was the spitting image of Arya's dragon form.

And it was moving again. Its head turning towards the west before its whole body turned that way, its wings straightened out as if flying. Turning his face towards the west a small smile curled his lips upwards and he took of in that direction, his fingers curling tightly around his bow in case he would need it.

I will find you, melamin (my love) was the only thing that ran through his mind as he hurried west, occasionally glancing down at the mark on his arm to see if it had changed direction.

She was alive.

And that kept him going.

He still had a few days until he had to travel to Imladris (Rivendell) where he had promised his father he would attend an important meeting. He also had to bring news to Lord Eldrond, for Gollum, the creature who had discovered the one ring had escaped from the dungeons of Mirkwood, and was loose once again.

Just one more day, he promised himself. Just one more day of searching and then he would return to his duties once more.

So...

This is the end.

Edit: Book Two is out!! It is called Shades of Darkness and can be found either on my profile, or by the link in the next chapter :)