XX

I want to dedicate this to Fizzthesasmistress13 - I am a girl, and I am sure you deserve your followers!

Also I want to take the time to thank all of you for taking the time and commenting and voting, and last but not least READING this story (if I could have come to your door and done it personally I would! But it might have been a tad creepy. "Hi! Remember that vote you gave for The Darkling? I'm the writer, and I am here to thank you!!" Yeeeeeeeeah, no).

Legolas watched from afar as Arya and Mithrandir spoke softly together. He had been watching them for quite some time now and found himself unwilling to interrupt their quiet time together. After some more time had passed by he straightened his back and walked over to them reluctant to let more time pass by before he could receive a clear answer from Arya.

She could not possibly be thinking about leaving without him?

He shuddered at the thought and looked up, just in time to catch Mithrandir's eyes. The old wizard smiled at him gently before his gaze wandered back to Arya. Her head whipped around and she met Legolas' eyes as well. He tried to smile, but found it difficult to do so, and watched as she grimaced slightly at his attempt. Turning her gaze back to the wizard she whispered something urgently before nodding her head and turning her body until she was walking towards him purposefully.

Opening his mouth to greet her he was surprised as she suddenly grabbed hold of his hand, pulling him towards the mountains without so much as a word leaving her lips.

They stopped first at the entrance of the mountain where the dwarves and Bilbo were gathered.

They were saying goodbye, Legolas realized as he watched them exchange words and hugs (Dwalin slapped Bilbo so hard on the back that he stumbled forwards a couple of steps, making the dwarves roar with laughter).

Legolas watched as his own father reached the dwarves before them, offering his condolences once again for their fallen brothers and then offered once again for Bilbo to travel back with the elves and spend some time in Mirkwood.

Bilbo politely declined, admitting to the king that he was rather anxious to get back to his own house and bed.

Before Thranduíl could turn away from the dwarves Daín; who by now had taken charge of the dwarves - and as the closest relative to Thorín was assuming the role of their leader stepped up, lifting up a beautifully carved wooden box. "Let whatever qualms that have been between our people be in the past. I offer you what you should have gotten a long time ago."

Thranduíl looked slightly taken aback, but nonetheless accepting the box gracefully. Carefully opening the clasp his eyes sparkled as the white emeralds of Girion shone up ay him. Bowing his head in the way only a King with years of practice could manage, he praised their work and offered his gratitude.

When the dwarves spotted Arya and Legolas a silence settled over them, Dwalin had this look in his eyes that Legolas could not quite decipher, but found himself tightening his hold on her hand.

The dwarves stepped up to them one after the other, offering their thanks to him for aiding them during their quest and hugging Arya tightly.

Tears were shed.

They were not expecting to see her again, he realized. 'Stop' he wanted to say. Wanted to reassure them this would not be the last time they saw her. It only took him a second to realize this is what he wanted to tell himself.

            "I will not say good bye, dear friends - for I expect to see you again before we meet our end." Arya spoke once all the hugs were given. Her eyes slightly glassed over, but no tears running down her cheeks. Most of the dwarves were crying unashamedly, something Legolas could not blame them for. She offered the dwarves a warm smile a soft "I'll be seeing you" leaving her lips before she nodded to Mithrandir.