32

Mia's POV

--------------------

When I come back to reality, I take a deep breath of the warm, cozy air. My head doesn't hurt, I actually feel really good.

I quickly recap my vision in my closed lids before opening my eyes. I immediately see the silky, see-through material of the canopy above my bed. I lie there with a comfortable smile for a second, until my mind catches up with me and I remember what I left.

My hands sink into my mattress as I push myself into a sitting position, looking around my room. Everything seems fine. No screams. No blood- Oh! My hand, I had almost forgotten about that. Gingerly taking the weight off of it, I notice it's wrapped in a dark cream bandage. Looking down I also notice that I'm dressed in a loose top with long, puffy sleeves that have a tight cuff at the wrists, and a multi-layered olive green skirt with white fabric details here and there.

I run my good hand through my hair, which feels silky and plain, no braids and no blood.

What do I do now? Go get someone? What is even happening?

My door makes a sound and opens slowly, causing me to jerk my head that way. I relax when I see El come in, carrying a bottle of lotion-looking stuff and a spool of the same wrap on my hand. She nearly drops the stuff in her hands when she sees me, probably out off surprise.

"Oh my god, Mia! You're awake!"

She rushes over and gives me a quick hug, then gets to work unwrapping the bandage on my hand.

"What?" I ask, confused. Is it that crazy that I woke up? "Hey, how'd you get into my room?"

"Oh, sorry," El says, looking embarrassed. "The Queen can get into any room, so she lets me in here to clean you up."

"Oh, thanks..?" I reply, still perplexed.

El just nods her head in a relieved way, changing my bandages and applying the cream to my hand so fast I barely catch a glimpse of it. Looks like the two cuts from grabbing the arrow are still there, but look more like two paper cuts now.

"El, what happened to the Cin? Why were they here?" I ask, sitting up straighter. Elanil presses her lips together, looking away for a minute.

"We honestly don't know. They came here, scared everyone, then just... Left. They left about ten minutes after you went out. Our guards killed a few, but... Our best guess is they were looking for the Heartstone, or maybe trying to scare us before the war. I don't know, but I have to go, I'm sorry. So glad you're awake though," she says with a smile, hugging me again. I tilt my head in confusion, but she's already out the door before I can ask anything.

"What the hell," I mutter to myself, sighing.

A minute later the door opens again, and Knox peeks at me from the other side of the door, his eyes widening a bit.

"Mia! Finally," he says, like he's surprised. And relieved. He crosses my room in a few long strides and pulls me into a tight hug. Of course I return it, sighing at the safe, warm feeling I always get from his embrace. But I'm also confused.

"Finally what?" I ask.

"Finally you're awake."

"Didn't El tell you I was awake?"

"No, she came up here and I didn't see her. I think my mother said something about talking to her."

"Why are you saying 'finally' about me being awake?"

"Well, we were all starting to get kinda worried."

I pull away from his hug, holding onto his shoulders at arms length.