16

Mia's POV

--------------------

Knox starts to disappear in the crowd, so I quicken my pace, trying not to push anyone out of my way as I step off of the path where there are less people, my feet treading on top of the snow. My curiosity has me running, and something in my head tells me I'm not overreacting.

My cloak billows out behind me as I run, trying to keep an eye on the light blond hair swishing in and out of my vision. But then the elves around me shift enough for me to see Knox, walking with his back to me, white stone in his hand. He starts to raise his hand, and I know he's going to teleport, probably back to the castle. Unfortunately, I don't have my stone, so I can't follow him.

Wait. Maybe I can.

I actually smile as I remember what Knox said: If you touch someone while using your stone, you can teleport both of them. And I'm only a little bit behind Knox now. I could call his name, but I really don't want to talk about what I plan on talking about in front of a bunch of people. My best bet is to catch him by surprise so he can't avoid my question again.

I run faster, squeezing in between bodies and pushing a few people aside, ignoring their comments. I'm now right behind Knox, close enough that I can smell his woodsy scent as he steps forward, throwing his stone down. I grab his arm just as he does. I see a shadow of his confused face as white smoke fills my vision.

When the smoke fades, I can tell we're in the palace. In a room. It takes me a minute to realize it's Knox's room.

It's about twice, maybe three times the size of mine, with a huge window on the far side of the room looking out over Bhailewood. We seem to be really high up, higher than my room. In the center of the room, headboard against the far wall, is a really cool bed. First of all, it's big, maybe even bigger than a king. It's covered in luxurious looking cream silk sheets with a really soft looking grey, wool comforter thrown over the top. It has tall, wooden posts, carved intricately.

Other than that there is a closet, a few bookshelves, a table and chairs, mini couch, and what I'm assuming is a bathroom, but the door is closed. There is also a fireplace, currently bare, by the bookshelf/ couch area of his room. I try not to gawk at the high ceilings or the huge chandelier hanging down that looks like it's made out of branches. Some rough, some carved, weaving in and out of each other in a chandelier shape, with some stone accents and candles burning in candle holders on it. It also sparkles from the rubies, emeralds, and diamonds embedded in the branches, sending little rainbows of light dancing around his room.

Ok. His room is beautiful.

I try not to get distracted, and I only take a second to look at his room before returning my attention to Knox, who looks confused and a little shocked.

"What..?" He asks, encompassing what just happened in one word. I take a short breath, then cross my arms over my chest and get down to business.

"Where were you when you were gone for a week?"

Knox is caught off guard for a moment, something flashing across his face. I silently curse at myself when I don't catch what it is. It's okay, I'm not leaving until he tells me. He presses his lips together in a thin line before walking towards me.

"I- why did you grab me? Why didn't you just call out to me? I was right in front of you apparently."

"Don't try to get around my question again, just answer."

Knox opens his mouth, closes it, opens it again.

"I can't tell you. I'm sorry, but you have to go."

He puts a hand on my arm to lead me out, but I stand my ground, staring him down. I see annoyance flicker in his eyes, and it almost makes me smile.