18

Mia's POV

--------------------

When I wake up the next morning, I feel oddly refreshed. Then the events of last night resurface, and I know why. I'm glad Knox and I talked, I feel a lot better now, and I think we may have even gotten a little closer to each other, after hearing both sides of the same story.

Checking my phone, which is still fully charged but not operational, confirms that it is 10 in the morning. I must've been really tired last night. To be honest I barely remember what happened after I said I was tired in the alcove.

As I sift through my dresser to find an outfit, I head to my window and pull it open, sticking my head outside and breathing crisp morning sir into my lungs. A soft smile settles on my face at the bustling yet calm atmosphere outside. It leads me to wonder what I should do today. Elanil is probably training or something, but I guess I could look for her. Halion I barely know, so it's not likely I'll go searching for him, and Knox... Actually, as I peer down to the street below, I spot a group of three elves on the snow beside the paths going for a morning run. I recognize Knox, and I almost laugh at the coincidence when I see Halion running alongside him, with another boy I don't know. I watch them through my window as they run in my direction. As they get closer, Knox looks up, meeting my gaze. My eyes widen slightly. Did he sense me looking at him? Can elves do that?

Knox raises his hand in a 'morning' gesture and smiles. I wave back with the same expression. Halion and the other boy follow Knox's gaze, and when they see me they put on obnoxious grins and wave enthusiastically. Recognition dawns in Halion's eyes a second later and he waves even more crazily. I wave back and laugh- a true, amused laugh. I know the elves I'm waving at right now are trained soldiers, capable of killing, but it's nice to see this side of them. They are still teens, like me, after all. Sometimes I forget that. I kind of had a feeling that Knox has a more carefree side. I just didn't get to see it these past days considering the circumstances.

Not caring if they can sense me or not, I watch the three of them take a right, heading down a path that runs perpendicular to my window, their hair flapping back and forth as they jog. So Knox is busy too, and that's fine. Those must be his close friends- I can tell by the way he is talking and laughing with them as they run, an easygoing and friendly persona that I haven't seen a lot of. I guess life has been so serious lately I forget that other people have friends too, whether you're a magical elf prince or not. It's kind of... Charming, to see Knox really smile, a full one that shows his perfect white teeth.

I shake my head and step away from the window. Time to get dressed.

-

The rest of Sunday is pretty uneventful. I spent a few hours walking around outside and reading in the library, not seeing Knox or Elanil all morning. I did have lunch with Rose, though. She invited me to have lunch in her private dining area- the one I sat at when I was told my dad was actually dead, not just gone. We had a pretty normal conversation- Well, as normal as it can get here. She asked about how my training was going and I told her about it. I also asked how my mom was doing, and Rose said she's doing okay. I guess whatever note Knox left for her was convincing, because from what Knox's spy view of her looked like, it appears that she doesn't think I'm dead- he didn't see her crying. But, then again, it's not like he went inside the house. There are plenty of moments where she would be alone.

 I guess one day Knox got closer to the house and used his elf senses to hear my mom talking to someone inside about where I was. She doesn't really know where I am, but she hopes. As I nodded my head to Rose's telling of my mom, hope rose in my chest. At least she believes I'm okay. At least she know's I didn't leave her, that I had to go.