45

Mia's POV

--------------------

It only takes until my mom gets back for Knox and I to figure out how the Heartstone summoning works. Only I can summon it, and all I have to go is say 'green' and think of it, want it. If I say the word 'green' in any other way, like saying 'that green pencil,' it won't work. Only if I specifically want the Heartstone. If I say green again, it'll disappear in a blink.

The wood stairs creak as my mom comes back down. I hold my hand out, showing how it's empty.

"I found what I was looking for, from dad," I tell her. "Just watch my hand. Green."

A blink later, a stone appears in my hand. It's a smooth, oval shaped stone almost as big as my palm. It's a milky, pale green color, and it almost has a glittering sheen hovering an inch above it like rays of sun. If you look close enough, you can see that it's magic. It even feels powerful just having it in my hand.

"What is that? How did it just-" My mom stares at the Heartstone, then looks at me.

"It's called a Heartstone. Dad made it to help control magic in Earthe, and the bad guys are after it. I needed to get it first. Let's see..." I close my eyes and squeeze the smooth rock, thinking of standing at the other end of the basement. I feel a strong pull, and more magic than I've ever felt suddenly surge through me. When I open my eyes, I'm exactly where I pictured. My mouth parts in surprise, mimicking my mom's shocked expression.

"How..." she says.

"It's magic, mom. I know after living on Earth for your life it's hard to believe that magic is even real, but it is." 

I take a chance, and picture a big, red rose floating in the air. I can feel the air around me pulsing with energy, and the stone glows. Glowing pale light floods my mom's face, which is watching intensely as microscopic particles of light appear, coming closer and closer together like magnets. They get so close they look like one, and are in the rough shape of a rose. Suddenly the light fades, and there's a real rose, just as I pictured.

The stone alone feels like it holds more power than most of Earthe, which is insane. My hand feels warm from the stone, and a small wave of fatigue hits me. I can see why. I mean, I've never used power like this before. I let the stone go to wherever it goes, and instantly the rose fades. I look up at my mom, feeling a little guilty for shoving all of this in her face.

"Do you believe me now..?"

Mom stares back at me, her look loving but confused, unsure what to believe. It takes a few minutes. In the silence, those minutes feel like forever. But, finally, she nods.

"I think so. I just... Why didn't you come back? Even just to visit..?"

"I wanted to, so bad, but I was... Busy," I fill in, not wanting to admit that I've been in danger for months. "Plus there were Cin here, waiting for me. The bad guys. You can't be touched by them, like I told you, but... Yeah."

My mom blows out a breath, laughing and rubbing a hand over her forehead. 

"Okay, well. It was nice meeting you Knox. I think I need to sleep on all this... Are you- Are you staying here?"

Her voice is so hopeful it breaks me wide open to shake my head.

"I can tonight, but I have to get back to Earthe. Just for a few days, to help Knox and his people. Then..." 

To be honest, I haven't thought about after. Will I stay at my dad's home, Earthe, or my mom's, where I grew up? Would she come with me if I went to Earthe? What about me and Knox? I can't leave him.