17 - Knox

Knox's POV

--------------------

Tonight I head to the alcove, my favorite spot to think. I found that I couldn't sleep, no matter how much I tried. I kept tossing and turning until I finally decided to just get up.

Sitting on the floor, looking out over the city of trees, a peacefulness washes over me. I love looking out over Bhailewood- the view never gets old. But even as I watch the last elves head home for the night, I can't help but replay the events from earlier today.

Most of all I feel guilty.

It's hard to admit, but I feel bad for yelling at Mia. She has a right to be angry, and she probably still is. I didn't tell her about the Cin watching her mom, but what was I supposed to do? Tell her, which would make her want to come with me? Bring her with me, and let her get taken by the Cin? No way. She's barely trained, not even trained with weapons yet. I could defend her against a few Cin, but a whole onslaught of highly trained, hundred-year-old elves against a 18-year-old elf- who is highly trained, but still- trying to protect himself and a half-blood with barely any training? It would for sure get us caught if we were spotted. I just couldn't risk it. I'm not sure what kind of fate brought Mia here, but she's here for a reason. Something important.

I make a mental note to try and figure out what that reason might be. But for now, I just know that I need to protect her. If the Cin get her- I shake my head, ruling out that possibility. It's too dark to think about right now. And by 'dark' I don't mean sunlight. I run a hand through my brushed-out blond hair, deep in thought. The stars blur as my thoughts take over my senses.

A few minutes later I hear footsteps, so quiet they would be undetectable to anyone but an elf. I keep looking at the window, figuring it's probably the guards. But as they get closer I realize it's the sound of a teen, not an adult. When she breathes out a surprised gasp, probably at the beauty of the view, I know who it is.

Mia is standing in the hallway, and when I shift to look at her she looks over at me, startled. She's wearing long night pants and a white and black jacket, the same one she wore when I first brought her to Earthe. It must be one of the only things from her home she has now. Her hair is a bit tousled but flows softly down over her shoulders.

"Oh, I can- sorry, I can go if you want-" Mia starts to say.

"No, no it's fine," I reply quickly, almost automatically, "I just come here to think sometimes."

She nods and walks over, standing by the couches for a second, as if hesitating, before padding over to where I am, sitting across from me and looking out at the view. We just sit there, looking out the window.

I glance quickly at her every once in a while. With the fire at her back, her face is cast in shadow, but the glow of the moon shines a white-blue glow on her face, a soft light that just barely highlights her green eyes, mapping out her cheekbones and lips. I look away just as quickly. When my eyes fall to the wood floor I, oddly, find myself wanting to look up again. Instead, I decide to break the silence first.

"Couldn't sleep?" I ask.

"Nope," Mia says softly, continuing to stare out the window. "You couldn't sleep either?"

"Nope."

"It's so pretty here."

"I know. It's my favorite spot in the tree."

She nods, looking around with more wonder in her eyes that I've seen in a long time- maybe ever. It lights up her whole face despite the darkness, a half-smile on her face.

"I'm sorry."

I look over, wondering what she could possibly be sorry for.

"I was angry, I shouldn't have yelled at you earlier. I know it wasn't your fault."