Since 2017

January 15, 2019

"I think I'm in love with Itziar. No. I am damn sure I am in love with her.", Alvaro uttered out of the blue as Pedro stopped painting and looked at his friend. They are hanging out in Pedro's veranda since they don't have any shooting for the day. Pedro smirked and shook his head, His friend can be dense sometimes.

"What? Crazy right? Like I've known her since 2017 but I just realized this", Alvaro continued as he looked at Pedro hoping to get a shocked reaction from him but Pedro just continued painting."Hey, are you not going to say anything. Not even shocked?"

Pedro stopped painting, looked at his friend, and said, "Alvaro, hermanito, I know about this since 2017"

"You what? How could you know? I realized it just now", Alvaro asked, pouring himself another glass of wine. It's impossible that he knew way before him. Or was it that obvious? And he just an idiot to just realize it now?

"I've known about your feelings for her since you chose to ask her to spend Christmas with your parents instead of your then-girlfriend", Pedro said as he sipped on his wine.

Alvaro looked at his friend and remembered that night in 2017. Itziar was pretty down that day. Her boyfriend promised to fly to Madrid and spend the holidays with her but canceled at the last minute leaving her alone in Madrid with no one to spend Christmas with. Out of impulse, he asked her to spend Christmas with his parents to which she accepted. Of course, when his then-girlfriend knew about it, she got pissed and broke up with him after the holidays. But that is not a big thing, is it? That was just him being a good friend and nothing more, right?

"Ever since that day, I realized that you love that woman but you are just too cowardly to say it. I even thought after that holiday, you guys will get together.", Pedro added with a smirk. While it was fun to see his two friends falling in love, it was also kinda frustrating how everyone can see their love except for the two.

"And you just told me about this?", Alvaro said, running his hands through his hair. He remembered that holiday. It's one of the best holidays he ever had. At first, his parents thought that Itziar was the girl he had been dating at that time of which Itziar quickly explained that they work together. His parents loved her which is not hard to do as Itziar is a very loveable and charming person. They even asked her to come and spend Media Noche with them but sadly it never happened because her boyfriend flew to Madrid before New Year and she spent most of her free time with him. He remembered feeling disappointed when he saw them together when her boyfriend visited her during the shooting. He shook her boyfriend's hand as he said "no problem" when he thanked him for being there for Itziar when he was not around. But Alvaro felt that behind that handshake and smile was an "I am keeping my eye on you" threat.

"And why did you just realize this now?", Pedro countered, breaking Alvaro's musings.

"I don't know Pedro. I woke up today, read those messages in our group chat, and saw that Itziar sent a smiley. After that, I remembered her smile and you know what? I realized at that moment. I can't live without seeing that smile every day.", Alvaro said, staring at his drink while smiling. Everything he said is true. As soon as he realized that he can't live without her everything clicked on him. Why can't he say no to her? Why is he always happy when she is around? Why did he choose her over his past girlfriend? Why? And the answer is because he loves her.

Pedro looked at his friend who was grinning like crazy while staring at his drink. Finally, he realized what Pedro already realized long before, "So what now? What's our next step?"

Alvaro looked at his friend and his smile faded. Truth is as much as he wants to tell the whole world about his feelings for her, he can't. There are so many things at stake and one big thing he has to take into account: she has a boyfriend and a steady one too. They've been dating for almost 4 years now and she seems happy with him.

"Pedro, I can't. She,, she's happy with someone else", Alvaro replied, with a bitter smile.

"You don't know, right?", Pedro asked with a grin.

"Know what?", Alvaro cluelessly asked as he looked at Pedro's Cheshire grin.

"So you didn't bother to ask why we are invited to a drinking session on Friday night?", Pedro ushered still taunting on Alvaro's cluelessness.

Getting anxious about Pedro's questions, he answered "Uh no. Should I know the reason?". "Hermanito, your woman just broke up with her boyfriend. She is single now.". 

"Seriously? How come I didn't know about this?", Alvaro asked as he sat straight clearly shocked with the news. 

"Well, if you read the groupchat after Itziar sent that smiley you will know", Pedro answered still smirking.

Alvaro quickly reached for his phone and scrolled on the conversation.

Alvaro looked at Pedro with a wide grin and said "Pedro, are you ready to have sister-in-law?"