12. joy journal

Kirsten had invited Charlotte to her house for their Sunday get-together. She kicked her husband out of the house and to his 'man-cave.' Charlotte offered to help her with dinner, but she resigned to the kitchen island, sipping on wine as Kirsten cooked.

"So..." Kirsten changed the subject as she settled beside Charlotte on a stool, "how's Matthew?"

Charlotte swirled the wine around in her glass, lips pursed to the side while her face flushed. "He's...good. He's good."

Kristen nudged the younger girl, flicking her eyebrows up and down. "Eh?"

"Yeah, he's good," Charlotte finalized.

"Are you, like, together?"

"It's too soon to say."

"Have you seen each other since last Saturday?"

Charlotte shook her head, "We've talked on the phone the past few days, but he's been out of town. We have plans for when he comes back, though."

"Yeah, Matthew doesn't like to stay put," Kirstin pointed out.

"I noticed," Charlotte giggled.

"Well, I hope all works out for the two of you. I think you two would be a good fit."

The night continued on and before she knew it, Charlotte was calling a taxi home. She had removed her contacts, dressed in pajamas, and just finished moisturizing her face when a knock came from her front door.

Charlotte bounced down the steps, the sound of the television coming into range. She left it on constantly because the house was so empty. She realized in that moment that she should get some animals to keep her company.

She skidded into her slippers and then  lifted to her tip toes to peak through the peephole. Matthew stood on the other side, dressed in brown corduroy pants and a Mickey Mouse sweatshirt. He was cradling a journal in his left hand and flowers in his right. He was twisted around slightly, peering at something in her yard.

Charlotte's heart jumped in her throat and she felt insecure and underdressed. Still, she opened the door, pulling a grin from her reddened face. Matthew faced forward, matching her expression. He stepped inside then shut the door behind him.

"Hey," Charlotte greeted, intertwining her fingers in front of her. She didn't know if she should hug him or not.

Matthew presented the flowers, "Hello."

Charlotte gasped, though she had already seen them. "They're beautiful! Oh, my goodness, thank you."

She decided she should hug him and opened her arms wide. Matthew leaned down and held her against his chest. Charlotte pulled back and made her way to the kitchen. Matthew followed.

"So, what're you doing here?" Charlotte asked as she opened a cabinet to find a vase she knew she had hidden.

Matthew set his journal on the counter and replied, "I just got back in town this afternoon and figured I'd stop by to say hello. Bring you those flowers."

He had said flowers oddly, so Charlotte stopped reaching and looked intently at the plant in her hand. It dawned on her, "These look exactly like the flowers from Central Park!"