27. stop doing this

couple things:

Are y'all enjoying how I'm taking the story?? I actually really like it + am proud of myself for once 😁

Madison Bailey is Sheila (pronounced shayla) and Jarod Joseph is Daniel. John is obviously black because Charlotte's family is white so they're mixed. My cast was too bland I had to add some color ✋

Finally, fuck John Mayer. Taylor was just 19 bro wtf 😔

n e ways enjoy ! <3 ily and gn 🥺

The day had started out well. Charlotte made breakfast for everyone, as per usual, went shopping for dorm supplies with the little family, came home to open windows and lunch outside. She'd been helping John garden throughout the summer and they picked a few vegetables for dinner. She'd hoped he'd be able to continue caring for it when she left.

They'd gotten into a content routine, healing from the loss of their mother, aunt, and wife. Everyday was pretty much the same, but it was comfortable.

Sheila adored her elder cousin. She always had growing up, but now that she was old enough and Charlotte was there for longer than a month out of the summer, they were bonding well. Daniel, however, was a little more distant. It could've been because he was a boy, but Charlotte knew it's because of the loss of his mom. He still hadn't spoken to anybody about it, meanwhile Sheila had started going to therapy.

Charlotte had tried to get Matthew to talk to him, to open him up. But he wouldn't. He refused to be vulnerable. He was just stoic.

Today, at the store, Charlotte thought she almost had him talking in the sheets section. Sheila had been off in the books, budgeting enough of her paycheck to be able to buy a new one. John and Matthew were off looking at something for Sheila's car. And Daniel was refusing to talk about even a small memory of his mom.

Charlotte gave up and they continued on until they were home.

At dinner time, Charlotte called everyone into the kitchen from the living room and outside. Sheila had been sitting by the pool, which she usually did when she didn't have to be at work. Daniel was playing video games and he begrudgingly pulled himself down the stairs from his bedroom.

He slumped into the kitchen, moving last everyone to pile his plate with food. They all sat at the table, as per usual. And, as he always did, Daniel went to leave, to go back to his own devices.

Charlotte called out to him. "Why don't you eat with us tonight?"

Daniel huffed, turning in his heel to face her. "Stop."

Charlotte froze from spooning her own food on her plate. She furrowed her brows, still smiling through she was confused, "What?"

"Stop doing this," Daniel slammed his plate onto the table.

"Daniel, what are you talki-"

"I'm talking about this!" He motioned wildly with his hands, "this dinner. This eating arrangement, helping us shop for our dorms, taking Sheila shopping, doing fucking face masks with her-"

"Daniel, watch your mouth," John stood up from his chair, reaching out to touch his son's shoulder. He knew he was hurting, that he didn't mean this.