20. just human

"So, what do you like most about the character you're currently playing?"

Charlotte's eyes drew down from where they had been looking up at the cieling. The studio lights were blinding, but she'd gotten used to them enough now that she needn't squint. Still, though, when they focused in her eyesight she blinked rapidly.

CeCe was talking, usually the one to take the lead in interviews because of her outgoing personality. Aisha would go next, Charlotte after. It just worked for them to speak in that natural order.

Charlotte squirmed in her seat and slung her leg over the other. The heels on her feet were uncomfortable, but cute, with little black straps exposing her painted toenails. They were light blue, the color Matthew had picked out over text message. Her fingernails were the same, only they hurt because CeCe had urged for acryllics the day before.

Charlotte had been buttoned into a mid-calf patterned skirt, paired with a white, cropped peasant shirt whose frilly sleeves made her feel like a character out of Pride and Prejudice. If the dress were any longer, she'd feel like frolicking through a field of daisies. Running through a castle towards her lover.

Matthew.

She'd been missing him a lot in the month that they'd been apart. At first, they were going to try to see one another at least on the weekends. But, Matthew's schedule was featuring him every single day, Charlotte insisted he rest on the weekends. Then, just when he had three days straight off, Charlotte was forced on a plane with Aisha and CeCe to New York. The show had picked up traction with the news of season 2, and a few late-night talk shows wanted them on.

And, when they got back two weeks later, Matthew was hitched up to Vancouver to film. They couldn't seem to get the timing right.

They spoke on the phone every night, yawning through their words, occasionally FaceTiming so Charlotte could show off Prune, her guest room at Aisha's, a peculiar drink she was trying at the cafe round the corner. A few weeks in, Charlotte had gotten a letter in the mail, and she was happy yet not surprised that it was from him.

Inside was the pressed rose he had gotten her for Valentine's Day, a few pieces of grass he claimed were from the small patch outside his trailer. A Polaroid of him and Kirstin for her wall, two packets of tea from craft services, and a sloppy wax seal to tie it all together. When Charlotte first opened it, she was overwhelmed by the scent of his cologne and a dry-faded spot where ink had blurred at the bottom of the letter proved her suspicion. She wrote him back.

Charlotte flinched as Aisha nudged her in the side. Her eyes focused on the interviewer, awaiting her answer, and she cracked an embarrassed smile.

"Sorry, daydreaming," she giggled with the others. "Um, so, Jane is very easy to play because I see a lot of myself in her. She's bold, hence the title of the show, aspiring, strong. Her resilience and confidence is something I need to bring into my own life, but other than that, we're pretty similar."

"I honestly resonated with Jane the most when I watched season 1. Can we expect anything exciting for her in season 2?" The interviewer, a short man, leaned forward.

Charlotte shrugged, pursing her lips, "She's really just finding her footing at Incite. Getting into the groove of work. Developing writing techniques, ya know."

The man nodded firmly and shuffled the cards in his hands, "No new romances for her?"

"Oh, she's definitely still staying independent awesome in this season," Charlotte giggled. "No new romances. But she has a remarkable storyline about her fertile future that opens up a vulnerable place in her character."