31. dinner date

As Charlotte stepped out of the car, she felt a cool breeze roll through the parking lot. Her skirt ruffled up over her thighs and she quickly pushed it down her legs with a squeal. Goosebumps left their kisses along her skin, causing her to sink into Matthew's jacket further. The sky above was blue as can be, though puffy clouds casted shadows across Illinois. The sun was no longer high in the sky, instead it was preparing to finish its trek across the sky in the west.

Charlotte squinted, though, from the sunlight. She pushed her sunglasses down off of her head, a prick of pain following as some of her hair stuck to the nose piece. She picked them off of the metal. When she looked up, Matthew was beside her, holding his hand out expectantly.

She slipped her fingers into his, her other hand reaching across her body to hold onto his forearm. They walked in step together, opposite feet hitting the ground at the same time as they went inside the restaurant. Charlotte's purse bounced against her hip and her hair fell into a similar pattern.

He held the door open for her, letting go of her hand just because the standing area inside was a little small. Charlotte stopped inside the doors, awaiting the hostess to finish with the people ahead of them.

"Should be under Jack Daugh," she replied once the hostess asked for a name.

The woman scanned the book before her and found the name. "Okay, you will be out on the patio. The other half of your party is here already."

Charlotte thanked her with a friendly smile. She turned to Matthew, who had since shoved his hands into his pockets, and jerked her head towards the doors that led to the patio. He stepped forward, pressing a hand into her back to keep pace with her as she went.

They stepped back out outside, this time on a fenced-in eating area. Charlotte scanned the crowded area and perked up when she found her dad and his husband sitting at the edge of the enclosure. She waved, gaining their attention, and continued on.

Jack stood up proudly, offering Charlotte a warm hug. She took it gladly, feeling all kinds of happy with her wide grin. "Hey, Charlotte."

"Hi," she dropped any form of a name, still unsure about calling him dad, but feeling disrespectful if she said 'Jack.'

She stepped to the side and Jack introduced his partner. "This is Grant. Grant, Charlotte."

Charlotte held out her hand, but Grant pulled her into a hug. She giggled into his shoulder before stepping back.

"Charlotte," Grant gushed, "you are so gorgeous. Also, hope this isn't utterly annoying, but I absolutely love The Bold Type."

"You watch it?" Charlotte spoke excitedly, "was this before or after you found out about me?"

"Before," he chuckled, "you are famous, hun."

"I know it's just odd enough to forget about," she scrunched her nose.

Charlotte looked behind her, seeing Matthew standing there with a polite yet hesitant smile. She grabbed his hand, drawing his attention to her.

She looked back to the couple, "This is my boyfriend, Matthew."

He shook Jack's hand and though he was a foot taller than each of the short genes before him, he felt scared. Jack eyed him up like any father would, handshake strong and tight.