42. lover boy

Sheila marched along behind Charlotte, balancing a coffee tray in her hand, Charlotte's costume on it's hanger, and a mesh bag containing her slippers, water bottles, a book, and her script on her shoulder. Charlotte was walking quickly, flats silent against the concrete of the trailer park. She was to shoot a scene in five minutes and, though they were making good time, Charlotte always liked to be early. Sheila was getting more experience on set and the director had given her multiple extra parts, including the promise of a one-line scene in the future. Sheila had, also, named herself Charlotte's assistant because of the pregnancy. So, you could often find her on the sidelines, ensuring her cousin- her idol- was hydrated, comfortable, rested.

Charlotte's stomach was filling out as the weeks flew past. She had gained around 4 pounds and, in the next couple of days, they'd be visiting a gynecologist here in Vancouver to find out the gender of the baby. Things didn't get easier- she still got sick, foods were becoming hit-or-miss, and she had cramps in her chest and hips again. However, she found ways to be grateful for the baby, talking to the bump late at night with Matthew peppering kisses along the stretch marks that were carving.

Matthew, ever the adventurer, was on set most of the days of the week, and others, he would spend scoping out parks, cafes, scenery. He saved most of the adventuring for the weekends, when Charlotte was able to come with him. They met a lot of fans along the way, but they were respectful- mostly. Matthew was always drawing, writing, no matter where he was. He would sit outside, before it got too cold, for now he sits in Charlotte's trailer, hunched over his journal. Charlotte kept pestering him to share the doodles, but he refused. She liked the surprise, anyways.

Thanksgiving was just around the corner and, because they had a five-day weekend for it, Matthew and Charlotte decided to split their time between their two families. Sheila was going to fly home, stay through New Year's, and return for Aisha's wedding. Charlotte and Matthew would go with her, stay through Saturday, and fly out to see Matthew's family through Tuesday morning. Charlotte didn't have to shoot any scenes that day, so it gave them a few hours' leverage.

Charlotte wasn't used to having so many options for Thanksgiving. For the past three, she'd made plans with CeCe and Aisha for Thanksgiving Eve Friendsgiving, would spend the actual day bored, alone, and then would go Black Friday Shopping at 1 AM, until she dropped dead. However, this past year had been like an entire lifetime. She'd gained three families- her's, Matthew's, and their own. So, though it was overwhelming, she was beyond ecstatic.

"How was lunch, Char?" CeCe asked from her big, fancy chair, legs crossed and a magazine between her manicured fingers.

Charlotte hopped up into the chair, allowing the makeup ladies to give her a once-over with powder, gloss, bronzer. Sheila took her own seat, though it wasn't as privileged as their own. Charlotte sighed, "Better than yesterday. Didn't almost puke today."

Sheila shook her head, snorting, "No, you just gagged at everything until they offered you yet another bowl of ramen noodles and a peanut butter bagel."

"Why those? Why are your taste buds so obsessed with those?" CeCe, exasperatedly, flipped the page.

"Not tastebuds," Charlotte snickered, "the baby."

The makeup ladies dispersed and Sheila held out a water bottle for Charlotte. It was overwhelming to have someone at her beckon call, but Charlotte loved that Sheila was so willing to help. She accepted the offering with a smile, patting Sheila's shoulder as she sat down again.