Part 4: Three's Company: Chapter 1

Summary: Sokka, after returning home from the festival in the Fire Nation, is finding himself becoming bored and frustrated. On a spur of the moment, Sokka decides that he'll visit Toph. Everything was going to be great, until he realised he would have to also spend time with a certain engineer, Satoru.

OoOoO

"It was an honour to care for the Avatar's bison," a fire nation guard told Aang as he handed him the reins. Aang laughed as Appa nuzzled into the surprised guard.

"Seems he likes you," Aang said through the laugh as he lightly tugged at the reins for Appa.. He led him back to the rest of the gang waiting for him outside the Royal Palace. Toph stood slightly away from the rest of them as they exchanged goodbyes. Aang let go of Appa as he strode over to Toph, arms wide open. He felt like a brick wall hit him in the chest as Toph's hand shot out and stopped him.

"You know I'm not one for hugs, Twinkle Toes," Toph said, keeping Aang at arm's length. Aang smiled as he dropped his arms to his side.

"I still don't get why you won't take a lift back on Appa," Aang said, as Appa lumbered up behind them.

"No offense to Fuzzball here, but I like being able to see while travelling, and I can do that on those metal ships," Toph explained as she reached out and rubbed the sky bison, getting a smirk from Aang. "You know what I mean. Zuko has already got a ship at the harbour for me anyway. Apparently, I'll have VIP status; it's about time, if you ask me." Aang dropped his head as he laughed.

"I'll make sure to get some extra padding on Appa's saddle just for you," Aang told her. "I guess I'll see you...whenever." He stuck his hand out to Toph with a sad tilt of his head. Toph rolled her eyes as she reluctantly wrapped a single arm around Aang and pulled him in a hug, who grinned widely. "See ya, Toph," Aang said as he broke the hug, walking towards the rest of the group. "Watch where those hands go, Fire Lord," Aang warned as Katara and Zuko hugged each other.

"I'd be more worried what Katara would do to me than you," Zuko stated as he let go, getting a laugh from the rest of them.

"Sokka's going blue, Ty Lee. I think that's long enough," Suki said, standing with her arms crossed as Ty Lee kept her arms around Sokka's neck.

"Sorry, he's just really cuddly," Ty Lee apologised, tilting side to side as she tightened he hug once more. She let go and allowed him to breathe again, winking at Suki.

"Oh, I certainly know how cuddly he can be," Suki said as she took his hand and walked him a bit away from the group.

"Everything okay?" Sokka asked as she stopped.

"Yeah, just wanted to not have them all around us for a moment," Suki said, grinning up at him as she stepped closer and wrapped her arms around his neck and his around her waist. "Make sure you come back soon, I missed you."

"Of course you did, although I'm sure you'd want me gone in a week if I stayed any longer," Sokka whispered as he leaned in and kissed her. Sokka glanced up as they kissed and spotted the sideways glances and little smirks on his friends' faces. He was about to go back to focusing on Suki when something odd caught his eye. Toph was staring directly over at them, an unusual expression on her face. Did I forget to say goodbye to her? Sokka asked himself as he felt Suki gently push him back.

"You should probably get going, Katara and Aang are waiting on you," Suki said, motioning towards the two of them on top of Appa.

"They'll have to wait, I need to say bye to one last person," Sokka muttered, looking over Suki's shoulder at Toph. "I'll make sure to set something up for us soon." Sokka gave her a quick peck on her lips. He held her hand and gaze for a moment before he started walking towards Toph, who quickly looked away as soon as she felt him take a step in her direction.