2. Hooked ...

It had been 2 months since Bhaskar and Khusi had met. They were taking their time, getting to know each other. The first thing Khusi asked at their second meeting was regarding dowry. She had decided that she was not going to pay anyone for marrying her and when Bhaskar refused instantly, she was relieved.

'There would be no dowry involved. It would be my honor to marry you, Khusi,' thats what he had said and Khusi was glad she met Bhaskar.

It was in their third meeting when Khusi had asked about his family. She was a single child and so was Bhaskar, but she wanted to know about his extended family, and the reason was crystal clear. She wanted to know what was expected of her gonna be in-laws, if they got married.

Bhaskar's parents, Keya Goswami and Animesh Goswami, were like every other parents. They wanted the best for their child and his happiness.

'And what about doing the chores at home?' Khusi's mother had strictly told her not to ask anything of that sort. Being a old cultured woman she had wanted Khusi to do all the household works, after managing her job. But when Bhaskar visited her home, Khusi asked that question infront of her parents.

Her mother had glared at her across the room but she had ignored her and had looked at Bhaskar. 'We will share the chores. 50/50 or may be 30/70 when one of us would be sick or tired.' Dipankar Mukherjee, Khusi's father had been delighted at Bhaskar's words. He was happy with the kind of man Bhaskar was.

'But she is a woman. She alone should know how to manage the house!' Renuka had yelled at her husband when Bhaskar left but he shushed her with just a sentence. 'This isn't our generation, Renuka. Equality is important.'

It was their 7th date and Bhaskar had a surprise for her.

"Where are we going?" Khusi asked as soon as she hopped on his car and put the seatbelt on.

"To one of my favorite places, and then we will be visiting my apartment." Bhaskar replied, reversing the car out of her home premises.

Khusi throat dried at his words. Apartment? Why did he want her to visit his apartment?

"Why?" she silently asked, looking at Bhaskar from the corner of her eyes.

"Because I will be preparing lunch today and you will be judging it," he chuckled.

"Okay ... " Khusi drawled swallowing a lump. She was reluctant to go anywhere too private with him. They weren't officially engaged and people needed an excuse to make a scandal. She didn't want to spoil her name or her parent's reputation. On the top of that, she didn't really know Bhaskar that well. Sure they were meeting each other for the last 2 months but it was too short to know a person. What if he decided to make a move on her, in the apartment?

"Hey, you okay? Why are you looking so pale?" Bhaskar asked, his eyebrows wrinkled in a frown.

"Do we have to visit your apartment? You can make the food and bring it some other day."

"Yeah, but you will only know the real taste when it's freshly made."

"Um ... " Khusi didn't know how to get out of the situation anymore.

"Hey, Khusi. If you're uncomfortable being alone with me in a closed place, that's alright. I understand. No biggie. I can make some other dish and bring it next day," Bhaskar commented, noticing how stiff and nervous Khusi was looking.

"It's just that, you know nah ... society," she dragged her words, giving him a tight lipped wry smile.

"I do, and that alright." Khusi smiled genuinely this time, at his considerate nature.

When the car stopped in front of a big metal gate, Khusi was confused. Where were they? There wasn't any name tag on the gate.

"Come, let me introduce you to my little friends in here. " Bhaskar nodded towards the gate as she realised where they were.

A wide grin broke out on her face as soon as she saw a dozen children running towards them.

"Dada!" They all cherred, delighted at Bhaskar's presence.

(Brother)

"Kamon achis tora sobai?"

(How are you all?")

"Bhalo! Aar tumi? Aii didi ta k?"

(Doing good. What about you? And who is this sister?)

"Didi na re, toder hobu boudi."

(She isn't your sister, but your would be sister in law.)

All of them jumped at Khusi and she couldn't be more happy than to be at the orphanage.

Both Bhaskar and Khusi spent their day at the orphanage, laughing, giggling and enjoying their day with the small angels.

In between playing with the kids, Khusi's eyes had drifted towards Bhaskar from time to time. He was delighted to be at the orphanage. Khusi was happy to know that Bhaskar was progressive and probably wouldn't have a problem one day to adopt a baby.

She didn't wish to become a mother. Khusi was strongly against getting pregnant and giving birth. According to her, it was only woman who had to go through every pain and problems during pregnancy and she personally didn't wish to feel all of that.

When her Masi (Mother's sister) died while childbirth, this notion strong got fixed in her head. She would never get a child of her own and no one could convince to get one.

Moreover, the world already had enough orphans. They needed parents as well. It would be a blessing to adopt one or two and raise them as their own.

When it was time to return home, Khusi didn't have an ounce of doubt in her mind regarding Bhaskar. She was ready for the wedding.

"I am so glad that I met you." Khusi mumbled, when Bhaskar's car stalled infront of her house. He gave her a boyish smile, a dimple popping out on his left cheek as he opened the door on Khusi's side.

"So am I."

*******

Vote and Comment, 🌟💬

if you are liking my story 😇🥰

See'Ya💫

See'Ya💫❤