15. Shunned ...

Khusi's gaze wandered over the beautiful marine drive as the car drove through the curvy road of the most famous tourist attraction of Mumbai, her eyes glimmering at it's pulchritude.

"Can we please just take one photo there Bhaskar? Look how beautiful it is!"

"For the last time Khusi, no! We aren't here to take pictures and roam around merrily. If you have forgotten we're going for your checkup," Bhaskar barked, displeased at Khusi indifference with their current situation. He was trying everything he could, with whatever money he had, to treat her infertility. But she wasn't even bothered about her health.

They had visited the best hospitals and consulted all the famous doctors all around India, but none of them could give him the hope, he was desperately looking for.

Dr. Rachita was their final hope. Bhaskar had called her last week at Dr. Zuri's advice, who was Khusi's last gynaecologist. They spoke over the phone as Bhaskar sent over Khusi's prescriptions.

"We also have to visit Sandip's apartment once, in case you're forgetting," Khusi grumbled beside him.

Bhaskar decided to ignore her words for the time being, as the cab stopped infront of the Dr. Rachita's chamber.

*******

"Mr. and Mrs. Goswami, please have a seat." Dr. Rachita smiled compassionately at the young couple. She was a lady in mid 50s, and had handled more than 1000 infertility cases in her life.

"Thank you Doctor."

Khusi heaved a tired sigh, sick and tired of visiting different hospitals. She have had enough tests and medicine, and literally wished to vanish from the face of Earth, to breath in peace for a few days.

"I went over Khusi's prescriptions and the test results are also here. As you already know Khusi's uterus lining is too weak to hold on to a fetus, so the IVF ... "

"We know what won't work Doctor! Just tell us whether it's possible for us to have a baby or not!?" Bhaskar snapped, tired of losing all hopes.

Khusi gasped and touched Bhaskar's arm, silently apologising to the Doctor. She had never seen him losing his temper like that.

"I am so sorry Doctor. Please continue."

Dr. Ruchita passed them a wry smile. That kind of behaviour was nothing unusual for her. Pateints often lost their temper when she held out the mirror of truth infront of their eyes.

"I am directly coming to the conclusion then. Khusi's infertility is incurable."

The hope in Bhaskar's eyes died, as his face fell. But Khusi's reaction to the Doctor's words was completely opposite. She smiled back at her, at new found hope building in her heart. There was no hindrance left, in her path of adoption anymore.

*******

Khusi hummed softly, adjusting the messy ethnic bun on her head, as she got ready to attend Sandip's engagement. After staying in  Cape Town for more than an year, he fell in love with one of his colleagues who was also an Indian, her hometown, Mumbai. They were getting engaged that day at Sandeep's apartment, a small family function arranged.

"Are you ready?" Khusi asked Bhaskar, sinking her feet into a heel. Bhaskar, who was sitting with a grim face on the bed, nodded, his eyes dazed and his heart chaotic, grieving over the fact that he might never get a child of his own.

What irked him more what Khusi's nonchalance. She was barely affected by the news. Rather she looked more cheerful now.

"Let's go, we're getting late." She chirped, striding out of the hotel room. Bhaskar could only shake his head in vexation