| 8 |

▬▬ eight; the best friends

⋆.。.:* ☆:**:.

HERMIONE GRANGER UNDERSTOOD now that her feelings for Ron Weasley had been so quietly sneaking into her and lingered so slowly up to her heart so that she didn't even realize they existed until now when that tingling desire became an unbearable heartache. After the game, when Lavender had grabbed Ron and pushed their lips together in front of a cheering Gryffindor crowd, Hermione quickly left the room.

The feeling she felt was so sudden that she at first didn't even know what it was. She sat down in the empty and quiet staircase with birds chippering around her. The wind from the open windows was gently playing with her red locks as she sobbed to herself. At this moment, Hermione wished Lauren was there. Actually, she missed Lauren in every moment of the day, but going through this alone was harder.

Hermione closed her eyes and allowed her mind to fly back in time so that it just for a few seconds would feel like Lauren was there.

A first-year girl sat alone underneath the tree in the courtyard. Crowds of different ages moved around her and didn't seem to even notice the blonde girl drawing in her book, except for Hermione. Hermione walked closer to get a curious eye on the really good drawing.

"You're a very good artist," Hermione said. The blonde girl jumped a bit and looked up shyly.

She tugged a piece of hair behind her ear, "It's not that good. It's just a sketch."

"I'm Hermione Granger," she said and reached out her hand. The girl seemed surprised at first but then formed her lips into a smile and shook Hermione's hand.

"And I'm Lauren Diggory. Nice to meet you."

She heard footsteps behind her. It seemed to be someone with hesitant steps as they approached the crying girl. Suddenly, Hermione looked to her side to see Harry sitting down beside her with a sadden expression. She leaned onto his shoulder allowing herself to fly away again.

"Oh come on, that doesn't mean anything," Lauren, in the second year said, side-hugging Hermione.

Hermione frowned, "Yes it does. When a Professor tells you your work isn't perfect, it does mean something, Laure."

The blonde girl chuckled, "Just because it's not perfect doesn't mean it's not a wonderfully well-written and performed presentation by a student who is only in her second year." Hermione eased her tense shoulders a bit and lifted her head from the cup of her hands. "Mione, you're awesome. Can we please go adventuring now?"