| 1 |

▬▬ one; the start of it all

⋆.。.:* ☆:**:.

THE BOY WHO LIVED. That's who he was, still, Harry felt like he hadn't lived a day of his life yet. Every day of his life he had been pushed around like a baby lost in a crowd. They kept telling him he was the Chosen One, but if this is what it's like to be chosen then he didn't want it. Seeing people you love die by every passing year and feeling yourself fall into pieces because of confusion and pain. They talked about him like he was blessed, but he felt cursed.

Yesterday, Dumbledore had picked him up at the subway and brought him to meet Professor Slugghorn. Then he had been dropped off at the Burrow where the Weasley family and Hermione were waiting for the school start. Things seemed normal at first, but at dinner that night it just felt wrong. Although no one spoke about it, everyone could feel the missing piece. Lauren wasn't there, and it scared him that he had no idea when she'd be with them again.

Harry Potter has grieved many lives, but mourning the loss of someone who's still alive is a new kind of pain.

The three of them stayed up talking all night. They reminded each other of memories from earlier years, where all four of them were together. In the middle of their small circle a fire was floating above the floor.

"So, what now?" Ron asked.

Harry frowned at him, "what do you mean?"

"Back at Hogwarts, will we just go on with our studies and accept that she's... just not... there," Ron asked.

"I'm sure she's doing just fine at St. Mungus. We have to be strong and go on without her, because she's safest there," Harry explained half-heartedly. It sounded like he tried to convince Ronald, but he was more trying to convince himself that he didn't have to drown in worry about her.

"You don't believe that, though. Do you?" Ron asked as he laid down in the bed.

"She's probably really safe inside those walls. But I don't believe she needs protection, she's stronger than all of us."

"Yeah," the redhead mumbled and buried his head in the pillow. "I bet she's planning her escape plan right now."

It was silent for a few moments before Harry turned to Hermione. He was desperate to brighten the mood like he knew Lauren would've had if she was there. "So when did you get here?"

"A few days ago," she said. "All though for a while, I wasn't sure I was coming." Harry looked at her with a confused look.

"Mum... sort of lost it, last week. Said Ginny and I have no business going back to Hogwarts. It's too dangerous," Ron cut in.

"Oh, come on," Harry protested.

Hermione cut him off and explained, "She's not alone. Even my parents. They're Muggles, know something bad's happening."