The Village

" Come on you idiot!" I yelled as I dragged Sokka out of bed " Five more minutes" he sighed as he covered his face with his pillow. " Sokka your meant to be fishing for the village" " I will, just let me rest" " I told you he wasnt getting up" Katara announced herself " I've already tried" " But you haven't tried everything" I smirked. I picked up some snow from outside and smirked at Katara, she held her mouth to stop herself from laughing. " Okay fine, I guess you win Sokka. Come on Katara lets go help the village" I said over dramatically before closing his door.

" Ah peace at last" he sighed satisfied, I threw his blanket to the floor and smashed the snowball into his body before grabbing Katara's hand and running out the door. " Scarlett!!" I heard Sokka scream after me, I laughed as I ran outside into the village. " You know hes going to get you back" " He has to catch me first, remember gets lots of fish!" I smiled patted Katara's head before running off to do my usual chores.

I say chores, but I basically help run the village. I make sure that boomerang idiot feeds the village and teaches the kids defence, I make sure Katara has the oldies washing done, while I do everything else. I smiled as I walked into the building and bowed before welcoming the little kids, " Good morning everyone, today I'll be teaching you all about reading".

After I finished the reading lesson for the little kids, I ran from house to house collecting everyone's washing since I knew Katara would be out hunting all day with Sokka. As I sat and scrubbed at the bedding I couldn't help myself smiling at the memory of us as kids.

"Hey get back here with boomy!" Sokka yelled and I laughed as I looked at his boomerang " Boomy? Really?". " He's a great companion, he'll help me win lots of battles when I'm older!". " Yes it will son" the chief interrupted us, " Dad!" Sokka and I both yelled in excitement before running to our fathers. My dad was one of the chiefs best friends and served as a general in the water tribe army.

I held onto his leg tight " Unfortunately I have some bad news" dad sighed " What is it dad?" " I have to go" " What go where?!" " We're leaving to join the war Scar, I'm leaving tonight".

I snapped out of my thoughts as Sokka and Katara's nana hit me in head " Hey are you listening?!" " Uh! What was that for?!". She sighed at me before speaking " Its almost nightfall, Sokka and Karata havent returned". I jumped up from my position and panicked " What? They were meant to be home hours ago?" " I'm worried Scar, what if something happened to them" " I'm sure they're fine nana, they'll be home". Once I had delivered the bedding I sat on top of our snow wall to keep watch for my favourite two idiots.

" Scar what are you doing?" I slowly opened my eyes " Uh, Sokka?" My eyes shot open wide " Where the hell were you?!" I yelled before snacking his arm " Our boat was pulled downstream and broke, I'm sorry. You know I'd never scare you like that ". Sokka sighed " What are you doing out here? You could freeze to death" I closed my eyes and took in a deep breath, before releasing it " I'm fine" I looked up at Sokka with a small smile before giving him a confused look " Why are you looking at me like that?" " You just breath fire".

I looked at him with furrowed brows before laughing " What? Are you seeing things? Did you drink the damn water?" " No Scarlett I'm serious, you just breath fire". " Sokka I'm from a water tribe, I can't bend fire I can't even bend water!" " I don't know, maybe I am seeing things but I want to try again in the morning.  Come on you can stay with me tonight". I smiled as I followed Sokka home and snuggled up to him in bed, I have no idea what hes talking about with the bending, but I'm just glad he's safe.

The next morning Sokka had me outside the village a good few feet away just in case something happened. I stood next to the lake in my blue dress and coat " Okay so how did I do it last night?" I asked after failing again to firebend, " You did it with your breath, you took a deep breath in and when you released it there was fire" " Alright, I'll give that a try". I took a deep breath in and released it, but this time I saw it. I jumped back in shock and covered my mouth " What the hell?!" " I knew I wasnt seeing things!" " Sokka I'm scared".

" Theres no need to be afraid Scar, maybe someone in your family years ago was a fire bender" " But how? My mom and dad were from this tribe?" " I honestly don't know, we can ask my nan! She knew your parents" " But my dad made me promise to never ask about my mom" " Oh yeah, like he made you promise not to ask about your eyes". I let out a frustrated sigh " I wish he was here so I could ask him myself" " I know how you feel, I wish my dad was here so I actually knew what I was doing".

" Sokka your a great chief to us" " How? I can barely fight, I'm lousy at fishing and I have no idea what I'm doing" " And you think I do?" I laughed. I stood up and took Sokka's hand " Sokka we're just teenagers, hell we were just kids when our dads left us in charge of this place. Of course we have no idea what we're doing but we have each other to fall back on and to help each other out. I don't know about you but I'd be completely lost without my boomerang idiot" I smiled at him " Thanks Scar" Sokka hugged me " I'm glad I can always count on you".