Chapter 3

I watched the Pack as they gathered together to go on a hunt. I wasn't invited, of course. I looked from beneath my leafless willow tree. They each had a special thing to do on a hunt. For example, one wolf drives the prey into the other's paws by growling at it. Then they kill it and bring it back. I never knew much about wolves when I was a human. I just didn't take an intrest in them, I guess.

They all walked out together. I sighed and layed my head on my paws. I wasn't allowed to do anything except catch my own prey. They didn't share with me what they's caught. I was still an outsider.

Bird looked at me before diappearing into the forest along with the others. Only I am a few others were in camp besides the young and the old.

I looked down at my half eaten bird. It was the best I could8 get. It didn't really count because it's wing was broken. If I was human still and I had to eat a bird raw, I would rather starve. But now I take a fondness to it. It tasted like pork or ribs rather than a skinny raven. But pheasent was good when my father and I caught it. Only cooked, though.

One of the pups wobbled over to me. "I'm bigger than you!" He boasted. He trotted around me and I gazed at him, amused. "I can eat you up!"

"Oh, really now? I'm so terrified!" I pretended to shiver and be cowardly. "Don't hurt me! Please!"

But to my surprise, the pup did attack. He bit my front leg. Hard. I growled and shook him off. He landed on his back. Then the pup's mother ran over to me and growled threatingly. She herded her pup back over to the others. I glared after them. I didn't do anything! The pup only landed on the ground. He wasn't hurt.

"Nice going, flea pelt!" snarled a black male wolf. "Hurting an innocent pup."

I snarled back at him. "He deserved it."

"Hurt by a little pup, eh?" snickered another dark gray male.

"Figures. All loners are weak." the black wolf flicked his tail at me like I was a little bothersom fly. I stood up.

"Weak?" I said slowly. "Weak, you say? Okay, tough boy. Come fight! See who's weak then!" The black tom accepted my challenge. I saw his huge shoulders and big head and suddenly was concious of what I'd gotten myself into.

I made the first attack. I lundged forward and bite his leg with force. I drew back before he could respond. He growled and paced around me. I did also. We went circling before he lundged. I dodged his powerful jaws by only a millimeter. I heard his teeth snap by my neck. I whipped around faster than he, and fastened my jaw onto his neck. I had a firm grip. I didn't let go. I bit down hard onto his neck. He yelped and gave me a few good scratches on the belly, but then I held his hind legs down with my paws. He was struggling now to get out of my grasp.

"Give up?" I snarled.

He didn't give up. He pushed upward with power. I was forced out of my grip but I tore a good ammount of fur with me. I spat it out and glared at him. We stared each other's hating eyes.

Before he could do or say anything, I quickly ducked down, lundged forward and grasped his thoat in my teeth. I bit down and drew back. His eyes were wide with pain and he wimpered. He tried to stop the blood from spilling from his neck. His partner, the dark gray male, pushed him into the snow. I think it was to stop the bleeding.

I stared defiantly at them. "Weak. You're the weak one, flea pelt." I snarled and turned around, triumphant. I held my tail high and walked over to my willow. I sat down and puffed out my chest. Many wolves stared at him in awe and in respectfulness.

Ice walked up to me. She stared at me with wide eyes. "You just beat the biggest wolf here in a fight! You beat Fang! How did you do that?"

I stared at her, equally shocked. "I did? He's the...." Now I knew. He was larger than every other wolf here, even me.

"I have to go tell Sky!" Ice turned. "You deserve to be in the Pack now!"

"After a day?" I asked.

"I guess." Icec turned and ran out of the clearing. I watched her go race through the forest. I just beat Fang in a fight. What a day. I think I need a nap.

I settled down on my temporary snow-bed and fell asleep.