Chapter 17

Bird's POV:

I force myself not to go into hysterics. I lay down and rest my head on my paws, looking up out of the dark hole. I wish I could be up there, running, playing, where the sunshine shines on your back. I close my eyes and try to image myself free of this dark cage. Two wolves are guarding me, making sure that I don't escape. How could I? The walls are too high for me to go see out of, let alone climb. I look around at the dirty floor. 

   I was in here for a two nights. It's night right now, and I just stopped howling. My heart lifted when I heard him calling to me. I felt like he didn't abandon me. Yet. It's not like I expected him to leave me on his own, but if they force him. What if they leave me here? I didn't mean to do what I did.

   Every morning, right before any wolf wakes up, I come to the border. I made a promise. A horrible, stupid promise to the Moon Pack that I'll most likely pay for with my life.

   I was hunting one day, before I became a Camp Wolf, and stumbled across the border. At the time, I didn't realize that we had borders. I was young. Then suddenly the swarmed around me before I could realize what was going on. They yelled at me for being on their territory, and they threatened to kill me because I wasn't bringing a message or with my Pack. I was so frightened, I couldn't think properly. I was trembling hard when the largest one came up to me. It was a large russet wolf.

   He says to me that I'll be killed, unless I do something for him. Shakily, I asked what. He said in exchange for my life, I will bring news every day to the border. News about our Pack, or where we were.

   It was a horrible mistake. But then the threat moved from just my life, to the little pups' lives. Then Jay's. Soon, I was overwhelmed by the fear of them killing my Packmates. I couldn't go up to Sky and tell her what I did. She would cast me out. That last thing I wanted to be was a loner defending for her life, out in the wilderness. Especially when the Moon Pack is after me.

   Now I am in this mess. When I told them I was quitting being their messenger, they didn't like it. Not a bit. They pinned me up and started to punish me by outnumbering three to one. Then Jay turned up, and they fought him. I felt guilty. I couldn't talk, because I was too weak and lost a lot of blood.

   With a wince, I remember my gash I received. In fact, I can't shake my mind off it. A dull throbbing is still running though my side instead of a sharp pain, which is good, I guess. The bleeding had stopped a few minutes after I was dropped into this pit. I wonder if Jay's in the same state as me. I raise my head and wish a silent plead for him to be safe. This was all my fault. I am going to get him killed, all because I was foolish enough to get into this mess. 

   I was a dreadful, dreadful wolf. I didn't deserve Jay's attention.

   I look up as the sun slowly rises out of the horizon. I can see it perfectly, if I step to the back of my cave. 

   Suddenly something is dropped into my cave. It isn't food, which I wished, but a long log that went up to the top of the cave. It used to be a whole tree that broke down. It was large enough for me to get out. I only stay cornered in the back, distrusting. They come to the top and say to come up.

   "Get up here!" one of them growls. It's a white she-dog.

   "Yes! Don't make us come down there and make you." growls another. This time it's a gray he-wolf that has thick fur around his neck, making him look larger and scarier.

   I gulp and put down a paw onto the wood. Slowly, I climb up. It's wobbly, but I manage not to fall. I jump shakily to the ground, at the top. They flank me and make sure that I don't escape. Yeah, right. I see all  the wolves here. So many more than the last time I was up here. I look around at the many different coats and sizes. I look for the most frightening one- the red coated Leader.

   "He got out!" a wolf suddenly barks. "He escaped!" Who? Jay? My heart soars. The two wolves flank me tighter, keeping an eye on me to make sure I don't make a dash for it, too.

   Four wolves run off in the distance, while the others stay. I silently pray, Run for it, Jay. Please make it back to the Pack.

---

ok, so this is the first time i've written in a different POV. at least in this story. and i hope you guys like it so far! i try to post more chapters cause they're so horribly short. and I appreciate those who actually read my story :) thank u! (Hope you like the new cover. if u dont know, it's jay haha)

-medicinecat333