Chapter 13

I should tell her that. Maybe that is what I do want. Maybe it's what both of us want. 

But what if she doesn't? Then our friendship will be ruined. It was all so complicated. I just wanted to be either mates, or friends. I do like Bird: she's funny, beautiful, and can be sensitive. But then again, she can snap if she needs to, or be a little arrogant. Either way, she's my best friend in the Pack. Nearly nobody liked me, except for maybe Thunder. And I wasn't on the good side of Ravine, either. He was the dog that first spoke to me in the forest.

And my ego was a little fragile, since I fought Fang to even be a member of the Pack. Even if I did win, I was still unliked by many of the wolves. But that was a thing they would just have to get over, because I'm not leaving any time soon.

I took a deep breath as Bird trotted over to me. "Hey!" I bark.

"Hey," she barked back. She sat down and looked at me with those huge green eyes. They were deep, like a lake. Those were the eyes that flashed with amusement, and narrowed when angry... the ones I trusted.

"Hey?" she barked again, I snapped to my senses, then I blushed. I realized I was staring.

"Oh, sorry. I was just thinking..." I trail off and look at the ground. 

"What?"

"It's nothing. Forget I asked." I say. She tilts her head to the side, but doesn't question me, thankfully. I sigh and look around, as if to appear bored.

"Well, I'm going out to hunt." Bird barks.

I perk up my ears. "Would you like company?" I was awfully bored, to be truthful. There was nothing to do around here.

Bird waved her tail dismissively, then looked up at me with apologizing eyes. "Sorry, I was planning to hunt alone. I just need a little of my own time, to think." She wags her tail. "But maybe next time, right? If you plan not to scare off prey." she adds.

I blink my eyes fondly. "Maybe next time." I agree. "That's totally fine you want to go out on your own for a while. Maybe if you come back with something, we can have a decent meal." 

"I'll try." Bird says sarcastically. "See you later, Jay." She turns and walks off without another glance in my direction. I sigh and think to myself, You blew it, you idiot. I wanted to talk to her about something more than hunts, but I didn't tell her. There's a big chance that she likes me back. I can see it in her eyes. But if I'm mistaken...

It was all to complicated. Love was.

-- sorry for the short chapter! I will update soon, though