Chapter 9

I was in the forest one day, hunting by myself. Or so it seemed. 

   When I was hunting a bunny in a meadow surrounded by the forest, I heard a snap behind me. The bunny took not even a second before it fled into a hole. I growled and looked for the sound maker. But there was no scent of any dog or wolf. I stepped towards the sound. I heard it again, but this time behind me. I spun around. But again, nothing was there. I took a step forward. Something was going on here.

   I heard another snap of a branch, and I whipped around again. I was just in time to dodge a mass of fur that flew by me. Bewildered, I looked at the fur. It turned out to be none other than Bird. Her eyes were playful and mischivious when she turend around to meet me.

   "Almost!" she barked.

   "Almost what? Well, I do know that you scared off my lunch." I sarcastically smiled and sat down. Bird rolled her eyes and trotted towards me.

   "You big baby." she teased. "Why can't you ever have fun? You're always so serious and stuff." Bird flicked her tail and sat down across from me. I got up and trotted away. Bird trotted after me. "Fine. Tell you what. I'll help you make up for the rabbit. Where should we-"

   "Whoah!" I turned around to meet her. She almost crashed into me. "We? No, I'm hunting alone. At  least for now, anyways." Bird narrowed her eyes. She intercepted me to block me from walking ahead.

   "SInce when did you turn like this?" she demanded.

   "Since when were you to tell me what to act like?" I growled. "You're not my mate." For a moment I thought I detected a flash of something in her eyes, but she turned away. I wondered if it was...hope? Maybe love?

   "You just don't have to act all mean to me, that's all." Bird murmured. "And can I please help you hunt? I want to help catch you something that I made you miss. Please? Am I'm super, super bored right now. Please?" Bird's eyes were sparkling.

   "Umm...." I pretended to think for a moment. "No."

   "Why not?"

   I narrowed my eyes and looked at her. "Fine. But you go that way and I go this way. And no attacking me, even if I do have prey. Got it?"

   "Yes."

   "Okay. Then go off to the woods on that side." I strode off the opposite direction. When I walked into the forest, I was met by the sounds of birds and leaves, fresh green leaves, moving in the wind. Spring brought flowers, new scents, and most important- fresh prey. I licked my muzzle in delight.

   I walked down the path farther. The air was cool and calming, like a lake. The grass was green and soft. I loved it.

   I sniffed the air to try to scent animals. I caught traces of fox and wild cat, but not rabbits or squirrels or anything. Then I noticed a small robin a few paces away. I crouched down and started to walk quietly towards the bird. When it was totally still and concentrated, I pounced a long distance. My jaws met around it's throat and I killed it with one bite. Happy, I trotted back to the meadow. I was also happy that I didn't take that long to get prey to fast.

   I stopped and sat down, waiting for Bird to return. Whilst doing so, I stared at the mud beneath me. I swirled a patteren in the mud. Then I looked at my... moon mark. It was clear and white as ever. It was like a real moon against the black paw pad. I looked down harder at the mark. It was sort of.... maybe, magical. 

   "What are you doing?" I snapped my head up to see Bird standing there. A squirrel was at her feet as she stared down at me. Her eyes widened. "What.... what is that on your paw?" I hid it from her veiw.

   "Nothing!" I barked. "Just a little birth mark I've always had. It's nothing." But Bird made me lift up my paw. She marveled at it. Then she snapped her gaze back to me. 

   "Do you know what this means?" she whispered.

   "No... it's just a mark! Seriously!"

   Bird looked up. "You.... you can be leader! Leader of our Pack! And no one can stop you if you want to..." Her voice trailed off in thought.

   "What do you mean I can be leader?" I asked. "I was just made a memeber of this Pack. Let alone leader." 

    "When a wolf has a mark of a moon on their paw," Bird looked at me to make sure I was listening. "He or she can challenge the current leader to take their place. Jay, you could rule us! C'mon! We have to go tell them-"

   "I don't want to!" I barked. "Please! Just keep this a secret. I don't want to be leader. I don't."

   "Why not?" she asked. "You could have power!"

   "I'm just not ready." I stood up to meet her soft gaze. "Please do not tell anybody. And later if I feel like it, I might just tell them. But please not now. Bird, I'm just too new to handle this. I need to think this through first."

   Bird's gaze was resentful. "Oh, okay. But just remember, you can challenge the leader whenever you please. Just show them your mark. Mark of the Moon."

   I shook my head. "I'm afraid that won't be for a while, my dear Bird."