Chapter 14

On the side is a pic of jay and bird :)  

---

 I yawn and shuffle in my bed of grass. I am surprised to hear a groan, then moving. I look over to see Bird's back pressed against mine, still sleeping. I smile to myself, then roll back over, still against the warmth of her fur. 

   When I wake again fully, it is the crack of dawn. Bird's gone, of course. I've noticed she has a habit of always getting up before dawn, like she can't sleep any further than that in the morning. I get up drowzily and walk into the clearing. I sit down and scratch my ear. Bird is nowhere in camp.

   In the mornings, there is hardly anything to do except sleep or hunt or walk. Most wolves aren't up yet. So I start to take a walk in the woods. I was still a little tired, and maybe a nice cool walk would do me good. Plus I could go get a drink in the stream. I always wondered why this pack didn't camp by one of the streams. I walked through the forest. I expected it to be quiet, but it was the complete opposite. Birds chirped and sung, squirrels chattered angrily at each other, crickets buzzing, and branches swaying in the gentle breeze all brought the forest together loudly.

   I contiune walking along the path in the forest. I keep watch for animals, but they seem to all mind staying in their warm dens in the morning. I look up at the trees that cast shadows down on the forest floor. Something seems wrong. Like everything is hiding. 

   Suddenly I hear a horrible bark of pain. I whip my head around, tail up and allert. I look around wildly. I reconised that bark. I run as the bark repeats, then a wail. I run blindly through the forest, the branches whipping me in the face. But I don't care. I run and run, and blood trickles down my forehead from all the branches.

   I skid to a halt in a clearing. Sitting there is Bird, and something horrible his happening. Her eyes meet mine, but she doesn't call for help. Instead, she squints up her eyes painfully. I can see a gash in her side. I walk forward.

   Pain and weight meets my neck suddenly. They snap shut on my skin, and I howl. I run around, bucking and trying to get my attacker off. They jump off, and I whip around to meet them, growling. What meets my gaze is a large male wolf with redish fur. He's bigger than me, even though I'm one of the largest wolves in our Pack. I bare my teeth and stand in front of Bird, guarding her from this wolf. I see something around his paw. A bracelet?

   He jumps forward, and I jump forward also to meet him. I lunge for his neck, but miss as he dodges. I land on the ground and don't hesitate to rush forward. I get hold of his front paw, and I pull it out from under him. He is unballanced, but doesn't fall. I rush forward and grasp his neck in my jaws.

   He throws me off by grasping my neck and tossing me aside like a sack, and I land a few feet onto my side. Winded and hurt, I struggle to rise to my feet. But the larger wolf easily pins me down. I don't have the strength to get up. I can only lay there and hope he finishes me off quickly. But nothing meets my neck. I look at Bird and catch her gaze. I mouth, "I'm sorry," and I close my eyes.

--- 

hey guys sorry this chapter is so short, but i wanted to leave you in suspense ;) thank you for reading and supporting!

-medicinecat333