Chapter 6

A pair of paws appeared by my side as I sat at the edge of the clearing. I looked up to see Ice blink her beautiful eyes at me.

   "Doing anything?" she asked me.

   "I just finished eating. But other than that, not much." I gazed at the clearing. Wolves were walking to their nests and the pups were alseep. I was on guard duty for the whole night. It was one thing I had to do when I became a member of the Pack. I sighed and looked back at Ice. "I have a long night ahead of me, thats for sure."

   "I feel bad for you. None of us had to do that." she barked.

   "None of you were loners?" I asked, surprised.

   "No, not really. Except for maybe Flicker. His brother became a loner a few moons ago." Ice stood up. "Well, I'm going to bed. See you tomorrow." She turned and walked away. She flicked her tail and lied down at the other side of the clearing where all the other wolves are. Pretty soon I was the only one left in the clearing.

   I sighed and looked at the moon. It was in cresent shape, sort of like a hook- a bent hook, that is. it shone in the sky along with many, many other stars. The brightest one was above my head, called the Northern Star.

   I glanced down at my paws. The pads were pink- but wait.... I gazed at a mark on my hind paw pad. It was black and hook shaped. At first I thought it was a thistle or piece of grass, but it wouldn't come off. I stared at it, marvled. It was the exact shape of the moon above my head. I looked back and forth at them, perplexed. I shook my head. It wasn't like that was very different. Lots of the wolves here had stripes, which was very peculiar. Some of them were even blue-ish colored.

   I turned my head back to the clearing, thinking nothing of my mark at the time. I rested my head on my paws and kept watch. I kept myself busy like chewing on a leftover caribou bone from my hunt earlier in the day. I chewed it down to the marrow, which I ate in pleasure. It was the best part. I watched the leaves shuffle and the moon glow for the rest of the night.

   I stayed awake until I saw the first beam of the sunset rise. I stood up and yawned. My shift was over for tonight. Slowly the other wolves got up also. They padded into the clearing and scratched their necks. I padded over to Stealth.

   "What's the Alpha male doing today?" I asked.

   "Hunting. Resting. The usual stuff." Stealth gave me a toothy smile. "But not long, I'm afraid."

   "What's that suppost to mean?" I asked.

   Stealth cast me a sorrowful look. "I'm getting old. Soon one of the younger males will challenge me, then I will be forced out of the Pack. It's the rules. When that time comes, I will live the rest of my life as loner who prowls the tundra and forest."

   "Really? You have to be driven out? That's terrible." I barked pitifully. I was sad that my friend was going to leave soon. I noticed the gray hairs on his muzzle, and the dull look in his green eyes. He was indeed getting old.

   "It's not bad once you know what's coming." He yawned. "Anyways, I'm going on a lone hunt today. I just need some time to myself. Catch some rabbits if I'm lucky."

   "Alright. Do you need me on any more hunts?"

   "Join what you want. See you later, Jay." Stealth nodded to me and walked off into the forest. I looked around. All the wolves were heading out in their already-made groups. Soon there was no once left but me and Bird.

   "Why do you always stay here at the camp?" I walked up to her. She looked at me like I just grew two heads.

   "Don't you know?" she asked.

    "Apparently I don't know a lot." I said, thinking of our last conversation. "What?"

   Bird rolled her eyes. "I am a Camp Wolf. I stay here and help around here. Help the pups and whatnot. Rearrange dens, get fresh bedding, stuff like that. I'm the only one in this Pack. Every Pack has one Camp Wolf."

   "That sucks." I barked.

   "I'm used to it. And I sort of like it, actually. I love being with the pups all the time."

   I looked at her. "How long have you been a Camp Wolf? Have you ever even been on a hunt?"

   "Since I was a pup. And no, I haven't been on a hunt. You know the day I found you?" she asked. I nodded, remembering clearly. "Well, I was out showing Sky the best places for a new camp. We switch every year. We are switching soon. Maybe in a few sunrises."

   "Do you ever wish you'd been a hunting wolf?" I pressed.

   Bird glared at me self-consciously. "Why do you keep on asking questions? Have I ever even asked you where you live? Or used to live, anyways." 

   "In a human home." I smiled. Bird rolled her eyes.

   "I mean where. Where in the forest."

   I looked at the ground. "I lived at the edge of our village. I had the best home there." I stared sadly at the dirt. I remembered my home only vaguely, as if I'd only visited there once when I was a child. I had no memory who I lived with. Only my little sister, Sarah. I remember the day I turned a wolf. She patted me on the head, then I saved her from a fox.

   "That sounds cool." Bird's bark snapped me from my thoughts. "I always wondered what it was like to live like one of those human dogs. Were they treated well?"

   "I... I don't remember..." I trailed off and gazed at the ground one more. "I'm sorry. I don't have any more memory of that place. I forgot completely. Except that I had one faithful sister. Sarah."