Chapter 7: Crosswind

Crosswind was laying in the nursery with Hollyfrost in the corner. Boneshadow and Wolftail were still unconscious in the Healer's den, and Tigertooth never once left Boneshadow's side. Crosswind heard Hollyfrost stirring beside her.

"Crosswind, can I talk to you for a moment?" her voice was a whisper.

"Of course. But let's not talk here. Anyone could be listening," Crosswind led Hollyfrost out of camp, near the lake's edge.

"I'm worried about my kits," Hollyfrost spoke at last.

"Everything is fine. I was the same way-"

Hollyfrost interrupted her. "I'm not worried about their health. I'm worried about whose kits they'll be...," her voice lowered.

"What do you mean? Of course they will be Hawkfeather's kits. Right?"

"Well...the night before Earthpoppy announced that I'm expecting kits, Mooncross and I snuck out at night and...," her voice trailed off. Crosswind could sense the guilt in her voice.

"You what?! With Mooncross?! Why with him?? Do you know how much this would hurt Hawkfeather? And how much this could affect your kits' futures?" Crosswind raised her voice at Hollyfrost.

Hollyfrost said nothing, tears streaming down her face. Immediately, she felt bad and put her tail on her shoulder and said, "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that. I should be there for you not bring you down about it."

Hollyfrost looked at her and smiled. "Thanks, Crosswind."

"Of course; anything for a friend. Do you want me to keep this from Hawkfeather and Thunderstorm?"

"I will tell Hawkfeather. You can tell Thunderstorm if you want."

They sat there in silence for a little bit before they decided they should go back to camp before anyone noticed. Crosswind had to lean on Hollyfrost's shoulder most of the way back. Is it just me or does it feel like I can't walk anymore? Why is it that I always have to lean on someone when I go somewhere? Crosswind thought as she and Hollyfrost laid down in their beds. She couldn't sleep so she ended up thinking of names. If it's a boy, I will name him Stonekit or whatever Thunderstorm wants and a girl... well I will just let him decide. This time, it's Thunderstorm's turn to name the kits. She looked at Hollyfrost, who seemed to be sound asleep, then got up and walked out the den. She looked up at the sky and wondered if Burngaze is taking care or Ashkit and Reedpaw. If they had become warriors then their names would have been Reedfawn and Ashcloud. She remembered Cloudstar telling her that before he became leader. Crosswind looked around camp and noticed someone sneaking into the camp. Mooncross and Wolftail. What are they doing? Wolftail is supposed to stay in the Healer's den. She saw them go into the warriors' den.

"You saw them too?" a voice said behind her. She spun around only to find Lightningstrike standing beside her.

"Yeah," she said quietly.

"I followed them. They went to the lake and then they started talking about battle moves and getting ready for something. Mooncross talked about bringing Hollyfrost with them to keep her safe, but Wolftail batted him on the head and told him that he needs to let her go," he whispered. "Can we go somewhere a bit more quieter that way we don't wake anyone?"

She looked into his light blue eyes. They were so caring, so wanting. Yet, she knew she couldn't and stopped herself from saying yes. "I'm sorry, Lightningstrike, but not tonight. I'm too tired and my parents will kill me if I sleep in. Tomorrow?"

He nodded his head and walked away with hint of hurt in his eyes. She felt bad for not saying yes. She wanted to, but not knowing why. She went back to her bed and went to sleep as the moon started to sink in the sky.

*****

She woke up to her father, Tansyfire, pawing her lightly in the side.

"Your mother wants me to wake you up. It's almost sun-high."

"Father?" Crosswind called him back as he started walking out the den. "Are we still okay? I mean, after Rockstone's death you distanced yourself from me and Diamondshine. Why?"

He stopped and turned around and looked at her with utter dismay. "You know why, Crosswind. You and your sister acted like everything was fine after you 'announced' you were expecting kits. Neither one of you, not even your mother, told me! I had the right to know that you were expecting your first litter of kits. I distanced myself from my daughters because I thought you didn't want me in your life anymore. I thought y'all were better off without me. Irispaw, Shadowpaw, and Pebblepaw are better off without me."

"No they are not. They want to meet you. They have met Lavenderwhisper but not you. Mother has felt lonely without you. Shadowpaw only has Thunderstorm and Hawkfeather as tom figures in his life. I'm sure he would like to have you as well. Irispaw has me, Hollyfrost, Lavenderwhisper, and Diamondshine. All I'm saying is, Diamondshine and I would like to have our father back."

Before he could say anything in response, Lavenderwhisper and Diamndshine came in.

"What is going on here?" her mother asked.

"Nothing, I was just leaving." Tansyfire said, giving Crosswind a sad look before leaving the den.

Diamondshine gave her a weird look and said, "Cloudstar just called a clan meeting. You should get out of the den and come see what's up."

She nodded her head and followed her sister and mother out the den. The clan was still coming out of the dens and the sun-high patrol was just coming back. It almost looked like a normal day. Normal? What's normal for us? Nothing is ever normal. Crosswind thought.

"Waterclan paid us a visit today. Among them, Stormdust, Foxstripe, Orangeshadow, and Pebblefoot. Apparently, Pebblefoot knows that he is the father to Breezepaw, and that Ashkit, Reedpaw, and Silverwind are dead. Stormdust said that Breezepaw should live with them since her littermates and mother are dead and her father is in their clan. She refused and is with Shadowpaw in the apprentices den. Meanwhile, Breezeclan is causing trouble for Waterclan and asked for help dealing with them. Not like we don't have our own problems with Breezeclan as it is." Cloudstar looked at the Healers' den where Wolftail and Boneshadow were still recovering, then continued. "So the question is: what do we do?"

The clan was silent. Everyone. Not even a whisper. Crosswind looked around the camp. Wolftail and Boneshadow were awake in the Healer's den with Earthpoppy, Diamondshine, and Tigertooth. Flightwind, Mountainfern, and Beigewinter were on the hunting patrol. But someone's missing. Who? She scanned the crowd. Forestshine, Hollyfrost, Hawkfeather, Thunderstorm, Skyfire, Riverwave... ah Mooncross. He's the one who's missing.

"Don't everyone speak at once," Cloudstar broke her thoughts.

Before anyone could say a word, a Waterclan warrior, who she knew from gatherings, Foxstorm, came running through the barrier.

"Breezeclan just attacked our camp and they're on their way here!"