Chapter 14: Hawkfeather

Hawkfeather peered into the nursery, just to find Hollyfrost surrounded by their kits, along with Crosswind and her's. The sun's rays were climbing its way into the sky through the gray clouds as Hawkfeather sat there, waiting. He has been there since the very beginning of dawn, too many thoughts swirling around in his mind. The cold wind stung his face as little white crystals fluttered down from the sky, but Hawkfeather didn't care. He didn't know what to feel.

Hollyfrost started to stir after a few more moments. When she lifted her head, she immediately got up, careful not to wake the kits.

"What are you doing out here freezing your tail off?" Hollyfrost asked him worriedly. Hawkfeather didn't answer. He kept a straight face, eyes staring deep into her two different colored eyes.

"...Is something wrong, Hawkfeather?" she had a scared expression on her face.

"She's not my kit. Is she?" his expression showed nothing.

Hollyfrost was speechless. "What...?"

"She's Mooncross's. Isn't she?"

Hollyfrost backed away a few steps, her face full of horror and heartbreak.

"Forget it. Forget everything we had. I thought I could trust you," Hawkfeather knew those words would stab Hollyfrost in the heart. He turned around and headed towards the warriors' den before she could respond. His sorrow had turned to anger. Hawkfeather heard Hollyfrost dart out the camp through the barrier, and out into the forest. The specks of white from the snow stood out on her pitch black pelt.

Hawkfeather found a spot in the corner of the warriors' den when Thunderstorm padded his way over into the entrance of the den.

"Since its snow-fall, we are going to need multiple hunting patrols and gather as many prey as you can. We're gonna need all we can take," he paused, then started organizing the patrols. "Specklefur, Shinewater, Hawkfeather, Tansyfire, and Mooncross. Riverwave, Featherpool, and Beigewinter. Lavenderwhisper, Birchleaf, Streamshimmer, and myself," he paused once more. "Alright, everyone-assemble into your groups!"

Out of all the cats he chose, he had to put me with Mooncross?! Does he know anything?! He's definitely going to get it later... Hawkfeather felt fury surging throughout his body. He glanced at Thunderstorm, clearly showing his emotion. He just smirked and mouthed the words "sorry".

Hawkfeather walked over to his group, tail lashing.

"Alright, let's go," Hawkfeather's father announced when he made sure everyone was there.

"I find it strange that Thunderstorm chose Hawkfeather to go on the hunting patrol when he chose all the other warriors with gray or white pelts," Tansyfire broke the silence as they were exiting camp.

"I'm sure he just chose him because they grew up together and are close friends," Specklefur chuckled, nudging Hawkfeather, but he just kept his eyes locked on the soft white ground. When they walked deep into the forest, they all split up.

Hawkfeather decided to run off towards the lake. Going there always seems to calm him. Before he crouched to start hunting, he rolled around in the snow, covering his pelt in white to hide the brown and black. He laid there, looking at the tall trees that stood above him. There were bare of leaves and snow piled onto the branches. But then he spotted something in the branches far too big to be a bird or squirrel. He got up from the cold snow and glanced up at it again. I know that pelt... He could just fall off of that branch and die and I wouldn't give two fox tails! Hawkfeather scowled. Then he got this thought in his head. He has caused me trouble my whole life. He has always been better at everything than me, and now he has taken my mate. But she's not my mate anymore...all because of him! He ruined my life... Our life! All he felt was anger and jealousy. His muscles rippled under his pelt as he snuck over to the branch that Mooncross was watching from. He stopped a few fox lengths from under the branch and looked at him. Mooncross was clueless that he was there. Before Hawkfeather could stop himself, he was already in the air, headed straight at Mooncross. Doing this feels right... Like a weight that has been sitting on my shoulders for so long that has finally been lifted. Now I can finally be free when I end his life... And I won't have to worry about him anymore... Hawkfeather closed his eyes for a moment before hearing Mooncross screech with surprise as they both barreled down to the ground. Hawkfeather landed on top of Mooncross with a hard thud, but the fall wasn't hard enough to hurt Mooncross too badly since the snow was there to cushion his fall. He had Mooncross pinned to the ground, but Mooncross didn't try to fight back.

"Why aren't you trying to fight back?"

"Is a fight all you were looking for?" he answered back, pushing Hawkfeather off of him. He ran towards the lake, and Hawkfeather chased him.

"Why are you running, coward? Come back and put up a fight like a real warrior!" he yowled after him. Hawkfeather eventually caught up to him, only a rabbit length from the lakes frozen edge. Hawkfeather tackled him once more and pinned Mooncross down again.

"What are you trying to get out of this fight, Hawkfeather?"

"A victory," he pulled back his lips in the start of a snarl. Hawkfeather quickly bite the side of Mooncross's neck, and threw him out onto the icy surface of the lake. Mooncross just laid the a moment, not moving. Then he got up, and realized that he was on the ice. Hawkfeather could sense the fear in him as he tried to scramble off of the ice. Hawkfeather just watched him struggle, then heard a crack. The ice is breaking! Then he'll fall down into the water and drown as he freezes to death! He thought with pleasure and felt a smirk fall upon his face. The ice started to crack more and more as he got closer and closer to the shore. Just as his front paws touched land, the ice gave in a broke under his back leg, making him fall to one side.

"Hawkfeather, please help me!" Mooncross whimpered. Hawkfeather could see the desperation shown on his face.

"And why would I help you?" Hawkfeather's head was held high with power.

Mooncross didn't answer, just continue to struggle. He eventually got back on his feet and sprinted across the snow towards Breezeclan territory. Hawkfeather chased after him once more, not letting him get away. I will give my last breath just to see Mooncross laying down...lifeless... Thinking of Mooncross dead gave Hawkfeather more motivation and energy. He followed him up a tall hill. Hawkfeather had never seen this part of Forestclan territory before. As he gained on Mooncross, he noticed other footprints around them. Someone else has been here. And recently, too.

Hawkfeather noticed that Mooncross was panting from running for so long, and he started to slow down. Mooncross stopped immediately, causing Hawkfeather to collide with him. They both rolled, and laid there next to each other.

"You give up yet, Hawkfeather?!" Mooncross yelled, his voice full of anger, but he was too exhausted to move.

"Wait!" Hawkfeather shushed him and slowly got up. There was a small dark figure off in the distance at the top of the hill.

"Its...Hollyfrost," Mooncross whispered next to him. They both crept up on her, trying to see what she was doing here. He listened closely and heard muffled sobs.

"She's crying," Hawkfeather added. Hollyfrost lifted her head and turned towards them. As soon as she saw them, she whipped her head back around and looked down. Would be great if I had her power right now... He thought with sarcasm. Before he knew it, he heard a familiar voice in his head.

"She's going to jump, Hawkfeather. You have to save her before it's too late...," the voice whispered. It was Falconice, Hollyfrost's ancestor. Just then, Hollyfrost's feet were lifted from the ground. Time seemed to slow.

"No!" Mooncross yelled from not far behind him. Before Hollyfrost was just a few mouse lengths from the ground she jumped from, Hawkfeather had her scruff in his mouth.

"Im not going to let you die," he whispered, holding her over the cliff she was about to fall down. Hollyfrost just stayed silent and still. He brought her back down the hill, and set her softly on the ground.

"Your kits need you, Hollyfrost. I need you. I'm so sorry Hollyfrost...," he whispered and wrapped his body around hers, closing his eyes. Hawkfeather felt tears streaming down his face as hugged her tight.