Chapter 15: Crosswind

Where is she? Crosswind thought as she paced outside the nursery. She had been worried ever since she woke up and found Hollyfrost missing. She had to watch Deerkit and Jadekit play with Foxkit, while Heatherkit and Quietkit chased each other around the nursery. Crosswind noticed them spending more time together and Heatherkit was being gentle with Quietkit. It was nice seeing Quietkit fitting in. And her daughter. Hollyfrost missing had her kits worried, so she reassured them by saying she just went to go help hunt, even though Crosswind was lying. She looked up as Thunderstorm walked up. She rubbed her cheek against his.

"I'm worried, Thunderstorm. I'm worried," she meowed softly.

"Me too. The hunting patrols just came back, but Mooncross and Hawkfeather are nowhere to be found. They said that Hawkfeather ran off towards the lake, so I went to check but found nothing. Do you think..." he bowed his head as if he was ashamed to say it.

Crosswind looked at her mate with shock. "You're not saying... But he wouldn't..."

He nodded his head. "What if he did? What if he found out?"

Crosswind had told Thunderstorm that Jadekit wasn't his. Then gave him a lecture about not telling Hawkfeather. "He might have," she said to him. Just then, the barrier rustled and Hawkfeather, Mooncross and Hollyfrost came through. Hollyfrost's head was down and was leaning against Hawkfeather, and she noticed a cut on her leg. Mooncross immediately headed to the warriors den without a word. Hawkfeather and Hollyfrost came over to where Thunderstorm and Crosswind were sitting.

"Kits, go inside for a minute," Thunderstorm said sternly towards the kits.

"Ugh!" they grunted in unison. They walked slowly towards the nursery without another word.

Once they were inside, Crosswind turned towards Hollyfrost. "What happened? I woke up and you were gone. Your kits were worried sick about you! I was worried about you!" Crosswind almost lost it.

Hollyfrost didn't answer, just kept her head down.

"I'm sorry, Crosswind, but don't worry about it right now," Hawkfeather had an edge to his voice.

"I am going to worry about it! The four of us... we have been through alot together! We don't keep secrets. We're friends, Hawkfeather. So why are you keeping secrets?"

"Because it's not your problem, Crosswind! It's mine!" Hollyfrost finally lifted her head. Her eyes were full of anger. Hollyfrost's random outburst made everyone jump.

Crosswind looked at her friend with hurt. "Actually, Hollyfrost, it is my problem. It's my problem when my friend's daughter is not her mate's!" Crosswind yelled.

"That is a line you do not get to cross. Something like that has nothing to do with you. We can handle it on our own," Hawkfeather growled as Hollyfrost put her head back down. "And I bet you Irisrose, Pebblesky, and Shadowflame aren't even Thunderstorm's, but Lightningstrike's."

Crosswind gasped. "Of course their Thunderstorm's! I hardly even talk to Lightningstrike anymore!"

Thunderstorm gazed angrily at Hawkfeather. "Just like we can't cross the line with you not being Jadekit's father, you can't cross that line."

Crosswind shook her head and walked into the nursery. The kits were lined at the back, staring at the barrier.

"Why were you arguing with them?" Deerkit asked.

"I'm not Hawkfeather's kit...am I?" Jadekit stared at her with tear-filled eyes.

"I'm so very sorry, Jadekit, but no, you are not Hawkfeather's kit. You're Mooncross's," Crosswind shook her head and closed her eyes. Jadekit was speechless.