Chapter 8: Thunderstorm

"My clan will help y'all fight them off. Or, at least, the ones who can help anyways," Foxstorm stated.

The clan went into whispers and murmurs with panicked voices. Thunderstorm didn't know what to do. He just looked at Cloudstar for some kind of answer, some kind of reason. When he didn't get anything, he went over to where Crosswind was outside the nursery.

"I promise you, I will protect you from this threat. And Shadowpaw, Irispaw, and Pebblepaw too."

"I know you will. You are the bravest tom I know," she said with love and care in her voice.

"Just be safe, okay? You and Hollyfrost both."

"We will. I promise."

Satisfied with his response, he licked her ear and walked away to join Cloudstar.

"I don't know what to do, Thunderstorm," he admitted.

"I know what to do," he responded.

Thunderstorm jumped onto the leader rock and called out to the clan, "Everyone! Listen up!" Thunderstorm yowled. Just then, Waterclan, one by one, battered and beaten, came through the barrier. Instantly, Earthpoppy, Diamondshine, and the Waterclan healer, Lostdent, started to go over the wounds. Thornstar and Stormdust walked over to Cloudstar and started to speak with him quietly. When they were done, Cloudstar nodded to him for him to finish. Thunderstar nodded back and proceeded.

"Welcome, Waterclan, I hope everyone is fine and that the healers can, well, heal you. As I was saying, I know you are all scared about Breezeclan. For all we know, they could have brought Shadeclan into the fold along with a couple of rogues. My point is, we can't give up. We have to fight at whatever cost. This is our home. We have kits and elders to take care of. We care about them, right? Then if not for you, then for them. We fight for them, care for them, teach them, love them," he looked at Crosswind, then at Shadowpaw, Irispaw, and Pebblepaw, as he said this. "They are what keeps us alive. So, let's fight for them!"

The two clans cheered. He jumped down from the rock and walked over to Crosswind and rubbed his cheek against her's.

"What was that for?" she asked.

"I love you."

"Eww!" Pebblepaw and Irispaw scowled.

He looked at Crosswind and they laughed.

"I love all of you. You are my family. Nothing matters more to me. Well... except the clan," Thunderstorm looked at Shadowpaw, Irispaw, and Pebblepaw, then at Crosswind and her swollen belly.

Inside of the nursery, Thunderstorm saw Hollyfrost shaking with fear while Hawkfeather tried to comfort her. He guessed she was worried he was going to get himself killed. Rosethorn and Whiteflower and their kits had already taken cover in the nursery. He looked over his shoulder at the Hearlers' den and saw Tigertooth guarding the den entrance, waiting for anything to even dare to get in. Thunderstorm saw the hunting patrol bursting through the barrier. They had cuts and missing patches of fur all over, not deep cuts but enough that they could get infected. One of the benefits of having his mate's sister as a healer. Sometimes he'd pay attention to her.

"Breezeclan is here! They jumped us while we were about to start heading back!" Beigewinter panted as he announced to the clan. Thunderstorm looked back at Crosswind.

"Please promise me that you'll be safe. I've gotta go lead the clan into battle with Cloudstar, Thornstar, and Stormdust. I promise you that I will be fine," he licked her ear before sprinting off to Cloudstar.

"I'm pretty sure I already promised," she yelled after him.

"I want two cats guarding the nursery," Thornstar was speaking when he walked up.

"I can do it!" Cherryfang stepped up.

"Me too!" Foxstorm called from the back.

"Ok. And the Healer's den?" Cloudstar asked.

"I will," Tigertooth still stood at the entrance of the den.

"Anyone else?" Cloudstar asked again.

Everybody was silent for a moment. "Me too," Crowtalon spoke up and walked to the Healers' den beside Tigertooth.

"Alright. Mentors, watch your apprentices. Shadowpaw, you will stay by me," Cloudstar called after him as Breezepaw found her way beside Thunderstorm.

"Don't leave my side. This battle is perfect to see how well I've trained you. And don't worry about Shadowpaw; he's in good paws," Thunderstorm looked down at her. Just then, Breezeclan warriors flooded into camp. The sound of battle cries pierced Thunderstorm's ears as the clans all clashed together. Before he knew it, he was on the ground with a cat on top of him. But before Thunderstorm could attack back at it, he saw a flash of white fly by as the cat on top of him was thrown off. Breezepaw was rolling around in the grass along with the cat that had attacked him, both growling and clawing at each other. Thunderstorm grabbed the cat by the neck and threw him off of Breezepaw onto the ground. It just laid there, not making a move. Breezepaw stared up at him with astonishment and fear.

"That'll teach him!" she growled fiercely. Thunderstorm saw Lightstar and Spotstar were on top of the Leader's den, looking down at the clashing clans. Thunderstorm growled and charged up to them, Breezepaw trying to keep up. Before the leaders noticed the two, he spotted Hawkfeather sneaking up to them from behind, reading to attack. Hawkfeather noticed Thunderstorm and motioned him to sneak up on Spotstar, while he got Lightstar. He climbed up some boulders and hid behind a bush.

"Stay here. If anyone finds you, get me. I've gotta take care of Spotstar," he whispered to the war-ready Breezepaw. She nodded then waited for Hawkfeather's cue to attack the two leaders. Hawkfeather flicked his tail, and at the same time, Thunderstorm jumped on top of Spotstar as Hawkfeather did the same with Lightstar. Both of the leaders screeched with surprise as they went barreling to the ground. Thunderstorm glanced over at Lightstar and saw the fire burning in her eyes. He looked back as Spotstar kicked his belly with his back claws. He lightly bit his neck, making Spotstar stop for a moment. He looked up at Hawkfeather and they both nodded at each other, then they each gave the leaders a hard blow in the head, knocking them out. They both fell limp and he heard Hawkfeather breathe a sigh of relief. There were scratch marks all along his back and blood trickled down his fur from a gash on his neck. Hawkfeather winced in pain as he licked the wounds clean.

"You should go see Earthpoppy and Diamondshine. Don't wanna scare Hollyfrost too much," Thunderstorm laughed.

"When the battle over, I will. Until then, I fight for my clan at all costs," he insisted boldly with his head held high.

"I'm not going to force you. Just-" He was interrupted by Lightstar starting to stir again. The two toms stood there, waiting to attack again. She weakly lifted her head and looked around in confusion.

"Oh, no...," She spoke grimly with her voice low. "It's too late. I couldn't stop him... I'm sorry that I failed..."

"What? Stop who?" Hawkfeather asked suspiciously.

"Mooncross."