Chapter 12: Thunderstorm

Thunderstorm walked across camp to the Healer's den to check on Boneshadow. She was curled up in a tight ball with Tigertooth wrapped around her. Tigertooth lifted his head as he approached the den.

"Is there something wrong, Thunderstorm?" he asked with concern.

"No, I just wanted to ask how Boneshadow is doing."

"Oh, well she can walk, but it'll come in limps. I've been working with her to try and improve it, but Earthpoppy says I should give up. He said that her leg isn't going to get any better than that," he looked disappointed.

"I'm sorry, Tigertooth. But there's room in the warriors' den for the two of you," he said before leaving. He walked over to the nursery to see how Crosswind and the kits were doing. But before he got to the nursery, he heard barely audible whispers coming from behind some bushes not too far off. He paused to listen, and heard that it was Hawkfeather and Hollyfrost.

"Remember what Mooncross said about Thunderstorm and Crosswind? About their powers?" Hollyfrost asked. Powers? Crosswind and I have powers? Since when?

"You mean how Crosswind has sharp hearing and how Thunderstorm is really strong?"

"Yes, but they haven't figured out out yet. They should realize it soon," Hollyfrost responded. After that, they just started talking about how their kits are due soon. We have powers? We have powers! I need to tell Crosswind about this! He hurried over to find that Crosswind was already awake with their kits playing in front of her, which he smiled at the sight. Their eyes had just opened and Foxkit had blue eyes, and Heatherkit had orange eyes.

"Hey, Crosswind," he bent down to lick her cheek, then licked the kits' heads. "Could I talk to you for a moment?"

"Of course. I actually need to tell you something, too," she got up and found Hawkfeather and Hollyfrost by the fresh-kill pile, looking for something to eat. "Could you two watch Foxkit and Heatherkit for a moment?" Crosswind called after them.

"Sure," Hollyfrost responded, glancing at Hawkfeather with a look in her eyes that she couldn't read as she and Hawkfeather padded over to the nursery. Thunderstorm took Crosswind out by the barrier where no one could listen.

"Before I went to the nursery, I heard Hawkfeather and Hollyfrost talking about us having powers, like them," he whispered.

"That's actually what I was going to tell you," she laughed softly.

"Oh. Well was it hard for you to hear?"

"No, I could hear it just fine."

"I was closer to them, and it was harder for me to hear. They must be right about the powers, then," he lowered his head.

"That explains why i could hear Cherryfang and Mooncross better than Pebblesky, even when he was right next to me."

"What?"

"Oh, I forgot to tell you. I saw Cherryfang walk out of camp just as the sun was starting to rise so I followed her to see what she was doing, and Pebblesky followed me. Cherryfang walked all the way out to the border with Shadeclan and met up with Mooncross there. Cherryfang asked him about what if Hollyfrost's kits are his, and he responded that he would have to leave. Pebblesky said he could barely make out what they were saying. And remember when I told you that I overheard Arrowpoint and Lilyray talking about a prophecy? I guess I was using my powers then, too," her eyes were full of amazement.

"What did the prophecy say again?" Thunderstorm asked curiously. "I completely forgot."

"Thunder and lightning cross the sky. A hawk glides across a holly bush, the holly bush is very aware of its surroundings. The diamond heals all. Mountains hover in the distance. The moon shadows over the holly bush, controlling others. The wolf stands on rocks, eating bones. The wolf and moon stand together. Beware of the wolf," Crosswind said in a low, deep voice.

Thunderstorm laughs, then his laughter dies down. "It's true though. The wolf stands on rocks, eating bones. If it really meant the the rock was Rockstone and the wolf meant Wolftail and the bone was Boneshadow then...."

"Then the wolf stands on rocks means Wolftail killing Rockstone and eating bones means Wolftail seriously hurting Boneshadow to where she has to limp."

"Yeah. I didn't want to say it out loud," Thunderstorm dipped his head and Crosswind licked his ear.

"It's okay. Let's get back to camp," Crosswind twined her tail with his and they walked back to camp.

When they arrived, cats were gathered around the nursery. Mooncross stayed in the back of the crowd, his eyes looked distant. Thunderstorm ignored Mooncross and quickly padded over to the nursery with Crosswind anxiously following behind. Did something happen to the kits? Crosswind's eyes read. But the crowd didn't look sad and mournful. Rather happy and cheerful. As they approached the den, their kits sat beside Hawkfeather and Mistfur, while Hawkfeather looked down lovingly at Hollyfrost. Earthpoppy and Diamondshine sat on the other side of them while Hollyfrost laid on her side. She looked happy and proud, but had another look in her eyes that Thunderstorm couldn't read. Three kits laid beside her.

Hawkfeather looked up at him as he and Crosswind walked into the nursery. "They were just born. Two toms and a she-kit," he smiled, then looked back at Hollyfrost.

"Your father would have been so proud, Hollyfrost. I wish he could have lived to see the sight," deep sorrow filled Mistfur's eyes.

"Im sure he's watching over us now, mother," Hollyfrost tried to reassure her mother.

"This one looks just like you. Could we name him Deerkit? He looks just like one!" Hollyfrost pointed to a brown tom with a white underbelly and white spots.

"Of course. He reminds me of all the times when we would go out into the forest and see all of the deer eating at the grass and branches. So peaceful...," Hawkfeather stared for a moment before snapping back to reality. "And that one looks almost exactly like you! He's been very quiet. Never made one sound yet." he pointed to a long haired black tom with a dark gray underbelly.

"We think he may not have a voice, but he'll be fine. All kits meow when they are just born," Earthpoppy announced.

"Then he could be named Quietkit," Hollyfrost licked Quietkit's head, but then her expression dropped. "Crosswind, remember when Sunblaze clawed at my belly during the war? That could have caused Quietkit's defect!"

"It could have. I'm sorry, Hollyfrost," Crosswind had a sorrowful look on her face.

"Thank Spiritclan that he wasn't harmed too badly, though," she licked Quietkit again.

"Your kits are cute," Thunderstorm purred. He looked at Deerkit, who looked like Hawkfeather, then at Quietkit, who looked like his mother. He looked down at the third kit; the she-kit. He had an eerie feeling about her, but he pushed it away.

"They aren't as cute as Iriskit or Heatherkit, though," Hawkfeather retorted.

"Oh, don't say that! They're beautiful," Crosswind playfully batted Hawkfeather's ear.

They looked at each and and laughed. It's been awhile since we have done this. Thunderstorm thought.

"And the she-kit looks like...," Hollyfrost's expression dropped once more. The kit was long haired and gray with a sand colored ear and a black and sand colored patch on her back.

"Both of us!" Hawkfeather meowed happily.

"Yeah, both of us..."