Chapter 1

Antonella "Nellie" Fortescue stretched her arms above her head, as they were stiff and still sore from the never ending hours working at Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlour. And as she relaxed her shoulders with a loud groan, she remembered that today would be the same; an endless stream of customers arriving for the annual event. 'Mr Fortescue's day of creamery', a tribute to her fathers death.

The last days of August was always the worst, as they were always the longest days. She would miss the simple days in July- where she was able to sit down, breath and look over some of her holiday homework. Antonella was a working girl, regardless if it was a short or long day – but what she knew that the annual event brought out many different witches and wizards.

It was a hot day there in Diagon Alley, and even with the access to magic - it was not enough to defeat the raging sun. Therefore it was no surprise that the cold air conditioned ice cream parlour was streaming with customers. A day of hot weather and an annual event... great! Antonella thought as she dreaded the familiar faces she will see.

Since the beginning of the year, her mother had stopped sweeping the streets of Diagon Alley and decided to help with the family business. Neither Antonella or Florence questioned their mothers new motivation to not only become the mother they lacked for six years, but to pretend that she was nothing but a robot.

It had been six years since her father death. And as much as Antonella loved the parlour it only made her reminiscing the few memories she had of her father in the place he loved. A large portrait hanged on the back wall, where his auburn hair and rosy red cheeks filled it with life. Her eyes always fell to the golden plaque on the bottom, un feu, si froid, Antonella was always curious to know why it was written in French, translating to A fire, so cold, as he wasn't French - and he was most certainly not cold. But none of that mattered as it had already been six years since his death and Antonella only just turned fifteen on the 7th of August.

Groaning as she got up, she walked over to the mirror to see her red hair was stuck to her forehead and her bags were darker than usual. She wanted to go back to bed and sleep, as she isn't required to get up for another hour. But as her stomach growls, she had no option but to remove the quilt from her legs and have something to eat. Weighing her options, she decided that if she quickly snuck out to the kitchen and rushed back, she wouldn't be caught and be able to relax for the next hours. In the comfort of food.

Walking into the quiet kitchen she could see all the baked goods her mother had been making. A new addition to the parlour, her brother was daring enough to ask their mother to cook. Her mother swore off cooking for the first two years since her fathers death... it was too much for her; she could only see his face when she entered the kitchen. But her mother had agreed and by doing so, brought in more customers then ever before, as her mother had a skill with pastry. With many wizarding folk unaware of the Australian culture of pastry and meat, the parlour had made a monopoly on baked hot food such as pumpkin pasties and the always popular muggle sausage roll and meat lover pizza.

Her mouth watered when Antonella saw the delicious new baked good her mother was making, it was their Asian fusion pastie. Filled with a tasty seaweed flavoured dough and a mix of rice, teriyaki chicken and a pretty herb from her mother's garden. Her mother's herbs were the secret recipe as Antonella was sure that the herb did not grow naturally in the United Kingdom, nor did she think it was cleared to be used. Yet, neither children ever said anything of their suspicious to their mother, as it was the secret to their success in baked goods.

Slowly and quietly, she crept into the kitchen, her fingers becoming closer and closer to the pasty. With her mind edging her to go for the delicious, delightful and divine pasty which was only a few centimetres away from her hand.