Chapter 14

It was nine o'clock, and Antonella was nervously waiting for James Potter to arrive at the astronomy tower. The class of first years had finished their Astronomy class late, at eight-thirty, leaving her heart pumping as she hid in the shadows of the corridors. But she was no longer in the corridors to the open-air tower, but standing, the moonlight striking her pale skin.

Each second itched at her skin, thinking this was an elaborate plan for James to get her in trouble. Each minute had her thinking of just leaving and join the game of exploding snap Erika and Asterin had started.

James Potter did not arrive until five minutes past five, completely unapologetic in being late. He was not wearing the standard casual attire students wear in class, instead his tailored paints were traded for leathers, and his quidditch sweater was replaced by a loose button up. An angel screaming for hell. That was the only way she could describe how James looked, with his hair still the usual unruly mess as always.

He held what Asterin called a duffle bag. Curiously, Antonella stepped towards it and James took a step back. As if her advances were threatning.

"You came." He said, as if he was in disbelief that she would.

The silence between the two was strange, not haunting, but not melodical.

"Why am I here?" Antonella asked.

James took a step towards her as he placed the bag down. That was when she noticed his hands were holding a book, a black and white book.

"A secret for a secret?" He asked.

Antonella did not reply, so he did instead.

"I'm a writer," He begun, "A secret hobby originally, but with all the practice..."

Antonella knew what he was referencing. It was no secret that the boy sent Lily Evans elaborate love letters, professing his undying love for her. In fact, Asterin had heard from Mary McDonald, a friend of Lily's, that the letters were potentially the best thing she had ever read.

He crouched down to the ground, placing the book on the floor where it was not wet from the early rain at seven in the afternoon. Unzipping the duffle bag, she saw the shine of metal. His bag was filled to the brim, with daggers.

A gasp came out of Antonella's mouth. Was he planning to kill her? Cut her all up? Was he planning of scaring her? Threatening her? The thoughts came by fast, and quick. She took a step back towards the fence of the Astronomy tower.

"Why do you have those?" Her voice breathless as she asked, "Why do you have those." She asked again, quieter.

James looked up towards her, his hands picking up a wooden dagger and pressing his finger to the top. It was surreal, it was strange, and it felt like she was being dragged into a fantasy world. Antonella laughed aloud to her own thought, who was she kidding, she thought, she lives in a fantasy world to muggle standards.

He stared at her puzzling. To be fair, he had every right. He was crouched next to a bag filled with daggers, and Antonella was laughing.

"Are you going to answer?" She asked, just as quiet.

He threw the wooden dagger to her feet, "As a writer, you need to research... and unsurprisingly... sword and dagger play is something I studied."

Antonella watched his every breath, as he pulled out another wooden dagger, he continued to speak, "About five years ago, I had my father teach me... and eventually in the summer holidays of our third year... he let me train somewhere professionally."

She had no clue why he was telling her any of this, "This is my secret. Gryffindor chaser is secretly writing about sword play, whilst spending his nights training here, at the Astronomy tower."

No words came out of her mouth, and James took it as an opportunity to speak more, "I believe war isn't just wands, we may as well learn hand-to-hand combat and sword play."

With nothing to say, James stood up with the wooden dagger. He pointed with it at the dagger he threw at her, "Pick it up," He said, and she did what she was told.

Cautiously, she picked up the wooden dagger, intricate designs were engraved in its handle. It was heavy in her hands.

Looking up, she noticed James was walking towards her, "Block my attack," he said.

In only a matter of seconds, James' dagger had collided with Antonella's neck. It wasn't painful, in fact, it was only a slight tap... a mockery of a skill she was not required to know. The smile on James' lips grew, as he took a step back, whilst Antonella's heart was racing.

James Potter was teaching her how to use a dagger.

He grinned as he spoke, "Clearly we need to begin at the basics, let's start with balance exercises..."

Heat rushed to her face, making them redder each second. She had not come out to exercise with James, nor did she want to exercise with James. He was an athlete, and she was far from that. She was insecure, she had no muscles, she was no athlete.

"I did not come here to train," Antonella said, trying to sound as brave as possible, "I do not want to train."

James stared at her in disbelief, that the thought of not training was atrocious. Maybe it was for an athlete like James, but Antonella was not him, and she was not comfortable for him to see her in her most vulnerable state.

"It wouldn't be that hard..." He said, uncertain what words he should use, "Just simple strength and balancing exercises."

Antonella dropped the dagger to the ground, shaking her head.

"No."

Her answer echoed. As if the chilly air around her, wanted James to hear her answer, to hear that she did not want this, and that she would not train with him. And she would not play this childish game of dagger and sword play. He walked over to her fallen dagger, and picked it up gently, his eyes never leaving hers. He placed both daggers back into his duffle bag, and as he is crouched over, zipping up the bag he muttered quietly.

"Four sets of forty jumping jacks, twenty lunges, forty bicycle crunches and ten burpees."

Blinking, Antonella scoffed, "What?"

His gaze was dangerous, "If you choose to train with or without me," he begun, "They are the exercises I want you to do. And I will be here, training each night, and I do not expect you to come. But I will be here regardless."

Antonella begun walking, right past him towards the entrance of the castle, when he spoke again, "A secret for a secret?"

He had already told his, and Antonella felt it necessary to give him one.

Turning around before she left the Astronomy tower, she stared at him, crouched over his daggers and book. She looked at him and did not see the arrogant Gryffindor boy, but a secret; he was words and blood.

Taking a deep breath, she spoke, "A secret for a secret."

He turned around to face her quickly, surprised that she spoke.

Antonella's mind was racing, she did not trust this boy. This is the same boy that belittled her for five years, the same boy that professes his love to her when Lily Evan's isn't around because she has red hair, and this is the same boy that made her feel feverish when he kissed her.

"I am helping Matilda to figure out who Headmistress Hoggs is," Antonella whispered, as if it wasn't her secret to say, "That is why I am always down the potions aisle."

Slowly, she began walking away, until she heard one final thing from James. Heart fluttering, she hated how she felt around him.

"Sweet dreams," he begun, and she knew his lips had curled into a smirk, "I know they're about me."

Antonella wanted to slap him for his comment, and so, she turned around to slap him across his beautiful face. Only to find he had vanished.