Chapter 2

Diagon Alley had many secrets. The whispers of the evil and good, the families in turmoil with the judgement of others, and memories of legends to cover up their own problems. To stay out of trouble meant to never ask questions; Antonella lived by her 10 word mantra. Questions got you in trouble, and trouble was a dangerous word... for some it meant detention during a quidditch match. It mean losing your 9 to 5 job at the ministry, and to her? Trouble meant 1am letter deliveries. 

Even with her mantra, Antonella was always curious and tend to put her nose in other magical folks' problems. After all, the sorting hat said she was only placed in Ravenclaw for her curiosity. But. Antonella was not raised without her mother and father reminding her that curiosity killed the cat... however she was never told that satisfaction brought it back.

The streets were filled with plenty of gossip, but it was the hushed ones between painted lips that intrigued Antonella the most. There was talk of a new rise of power, one that hasn't been seen since Grindelwald, who promised prosperity to not only the pure-blood community but any that followed his cause: a world with muggle bondage servitude. The slurs against muggles, muggle-borns and half-bloods filled the cobble roads, as the old debate if muggle-borns stole the magic from magic born squibs. Each year, the voices of change in a direction of magic is might increased, as the heads of muggle borns lowered. Antonella knew war was inevitable. 

As the morning of August 31st rolled around, the day after the annual event, Antonella knew that Diagon Alley will be even more packed, especially of muggle families. 

The day before Hogwarts was filled with last minute trips to ensure that all the supplies were purchased and this year was no exception. Antonella could see from her window, the only part of the house that could see Diagon Alley, as it was hidden behind the parlour, hundreds of new faces - obvious from there nervous smiles. The search for the correct caldron or the latest edition in 'The divinations of potential dates' had begun.

Given the day off to finish her own list of school supplies, her mother and brother were already busy with the parlour. This happened every year, with Antonella having to buy all her required items on the last day as she was too busy to do it any other time.

Saying goodbye to her mother and brother, she made a direct route towards 'Madam Malkin's Robes for All Occasions', as she needed new robes. The line was already growing every second, with it only being 7:38am. Dashing across the street, Antonella managed to get in the line just before the 7:45am rush. The wait wasn't long, with most parents just picking up house robes in the size up, and older wizards and witches purchasing a hat. In no time, she managed to make it to the front to face Madam Malkin.

"Darling!" She exclaimed, quickly moving from behind the counter and giving Antonella a tight hug, "I've been waiting for you to come by," Antonella knew the measuring tape from the tight section was measuring her, "My, my, my... haven't you grown up beautifully over the holidays!"

The room was becoming louder, rowdier, and fuller as children and pushy mothers had managed to get into the awfully small store. It was like this every year, at least since she was eleven years old, where she would help her control the store. Madam Malkin was a material figure for her when her father passed away, as her mother grieved. 

A singe glance from Antonella to Madam Malkin was enough for her to ask, "Need help?"

"Oh dear merlin, yes..." Her eyes scanned the room, Antonella knew she was thinking if she should call her husband to help with the store, "Loraine came down with dragon pox, poor darling... excuse me! Do not play inside... go dear... can you work on the front store whilst I deal with behind?"