Chapter 23

On top of a winter villa in a snowy town - somewhere in Japan - at five in the morning, a witch and a wizard embraced the looming snow-storm and the bruising cold; death's sweet kiss. There was life in each breath Antonella formed, if it was from the chills running down her spine or the punishing wind across her cheek. Her hair was no longer lively, wet from the snow, but Antonella would never pass the opportunity to watch the morning sun.

Antonella loved sunrises and sunsets. That was a fact. 

But there was no sun strands at five in the morning, or any at all. It was the dead of winter, and only snow caressed her cheeks and not the loving sun. Her cheeks were not burnt red from the light, or her eyes captivated by the radiance of fire. Instead, she was staring directly at James. 

He seemed so at peace with the storms around him, as if he was in paradise. He always seemed like he was in paradise, and he was also so confident. Yet, to Antonella, there was something golden about him... even in the darkest light where she could not see him. He radiated everything she wanted, and for some reason, he gave her what she desired so much.

A secret for a secret, Antonella knew she wanted to some to be vulnerable to her, to trust her. And she wanted to be able to be vulnerable. 

James had given her no reason to trust him. He was kind when it suited him, snarky when he wanted to be, and usually always three steps ahead of everyone else. Unlike his friends, James remained not only a mystery to wizarding society, but a mystery to Antonella. He wasn't pictured out in public like Sirius, or overtly loud like Dalton. The rumours that followed Remus were usually true and Peter was known for his honesty. Yet, James always seemed to curate his image.

Antonella knew, James was not vulnerable. He was far too smart to fall into this trap; the intimacy of safety. She didn't particularly hated the man, in fact, maybe deep down, she would have respected the man... possibly even adored the man. It was the snarky comments of her hair, and it was the sounds of his breath down her neck, and it was secret meetings on the astronomy tower, that made Antonella want to hate the man.

But it was impossible to hate the small shadows of his boyish smile as he breathed slowly, and Antonella didn't dare move. And a thought came to her, hate the wizard but respect the magic. She didn't have to respect James as a person, to be curious about him. It surely didn't hurt to strain her eyes on his dark lashes or to hear the way he breathes every few second. 

She wanted to believe herself to be insane, thinking so sincerely on a boy who had tormented her for the longest time. Had it been from her grades, to her hair and to her new found boldness. Yet, it was impossible for Antonella to stop searching his face as small glimmering lights uncovered his face, even as his eyes fluttered open and her stomach curled.

His voice was hoarse, as she felt his eyes look her over, thankfully covered by the sky's darkness, 'Morning'.

Not even the gushing wind could stop her heart from melting as his voice vibrated, or as light caught his eyes, the golden spec's piercing her skin. And the silence remained, neither spoke as morning slowly rose.

The two left the roof slowly, James offering a hand. And for the first time, Antonella accepted it. 

With their clothes wet, Antonella entered the warmed house with a mission to change her clothes. From her soaking pyjamas to a a Christmas sweater Matilda had gifted her last year, with a matching pair of denim jeans. She had expected James to go back to sleep, but he was seated on a tall white chair, reading the morning daily prophet at the kitchen bench. 

If Antonella couldn't swoon for James anymore than before, which as a matter of fact - she despised that she even cared, the sight of his glasses slightly further down his nose with his eye brows furrowed was enough to leave her speechless. He was cruelly beautifully. James deserved no compliments, no affectionate endearments and certainly no praise; he wasn't a monster per se but he wasn't any better. He destroyed her self-confidence as if it was a necessity to his survival.