Fact #3 | How Many Licks to Get to the Centre of a Tootsie Pop?

Remember that commercial? How many licks does it take to get to the centre of a tootsie pop? They were a memorable series of ads in the 60's -80's that even if you weren't alive at that time, you probably still heard of that familiar question being asked.

 Well, a brilliant student at Purdue University wanted an answer. Let me remind you all...Purdue University is the university responsible for the life-saving side Purdue Owl to help students site. They know their shit...but guess that isn't all they're known for because a group of engineering students created a licking machine modelled after a human tongue. They deduced that it generally takes the average person around 364 licks to get to the centre of a tootsie pop. 

From there, the test was reproduced by students at the University of Michigan who have recorded their licking machine takes around 411 licks. Bellarmine University and Swarthmore Junior Highschool took their own different approaches to this complex question as well.

Although the general consensus agrees with Purdue University, people are constantly doing their own experiments to see for sure how many licks it takes.

Tootsie has put more information about these findings on their official website which can be found here:

https://tootsie.com/howmanylick-experiments