Fact #6 | On the Road Again

Musical roads are apparently a thing. There are several roads around the world considered 'musical roads'. When a car drives over this road at a certain speed it causes tactile vibrations which cause a rumbling. Inside the car that rumbling sounds like music!

Denmark was the inventor of these musical roads which they call 'asphaltatone'. 

Lancaster, California has a road which sings either William Tell Overture if you're doing 55mph or 88 km/h. In New Mexico on route 66 there is a section which plays America the Beautiful if you're doing 45mph or 72 km/h. South Korea have several musical roads which play songs like Mary Had a Little Lamb. Japan has several but one notable one is near Mount Fuji which plays the tune Fuji no Yama. Hungary has a road on its route 67, when that road opened a Hungarian band composed the song Route 67 specifically for the road.

Although they're fun tourist attractions, the musical roads aren't only meant for fun. South Korea implemented their musical road because it was a dangerous road and they wanted to try to prevent accidents. Due to the fact you can only hear the song when you're driving a certain speed, drivers are more inclined to go the speed limit to listen to the tune as well as to keep drivers alert and awake on the roads.

I think that these musical roads are so cool and more countries should think about having a few in their areas. Although this fact brought dark memories from my high school days where in the morning every 5 minutes before first class they played William Tell over the PA system and I haven't been able to listen to that song since them for fear of killing myself.

The Youtube video above is the musical road in Hungary.