2| Prove him wrong

"You will be going through three stages here at dauntless" I start.

The transfers stare at me in confusion. They aren't used to this, but I will make sure that they will. They have to, unless they will become faction-less.

"The first stage is physical, you will push yourselves as hard as you can to the breaking point. I will not tolerate those who give up, because here in dauntless you never give up"

They nod and at the corner of my eye I see Four nodding with them. Two dauntless leaders were watching me as I spoke.

I cleared my throat. "The second is emotional, you will learn how to conquer your darkest fears. Not all of you will have the same amount of fears. Third is mental, you will eventually take on those fears by yourself...and you will conquer them"

Four steps in. "Last but not least, only ten of you will become members of dauntless. Now you look around you and you see eleven other initiates. Two of you will not make it in, and therefore you will be sent to  faction-less"

"And those who pass the final stage will be assigned jobs based on your rankings" I say.

They start whispering to each other and making faces at us. I knew what they were thinking. They were all worrying about how two of them will be the ones who won't make it.

It isn't fair but it has been the new rule for two years.

-

"Hey, what was it like when you first got here?" Lexie comes up to me as we walk to the training room.

Her eyes stared at mine, curious and innocent. At first I wanted to talk all about it, I wanted to tell her my ups and downs, all of the challenges she is going to face.

But I remember that I can't. Normally I would be friends with her right now. As much as I wanted to be, I couldn't with Four watching.

"Keep walking" I say sternly, trying to say it like Four would.

"Was it fun? Like what kind of things did you do during training? Also-"

"When I say keep walking, I don't expect you to say a word. Keep..walking"

Her eyes flutter. I hurt her feelings.

She slows down her pace and walks behind all the initiates. I hated to talk back to her.

"First jumper is bothering you huh?" Four chuckles.

"No she wasn't actually, she's really nice" I tell him. "But you know I can't just talk to her like I'm her new friend"

He nods. "You have to be strict with her"

"Yep. Her feelings will get in the way of her choices" I tell him. "It won't help her pass"

" I hope you are able to do that" He looks at me.

-

Everyone was spread out. Some went to hit punching bags, some were stretching, and some were lifting weights.

Four and I were teaching punching skills. We demonstrated on each other to accurately show how to punch.

"The key is to keep your foot planted on the ground" I show them. "If you don't, your punch won't do anything to your opponent".

"When you want to make a punch, make sure the arm you are punching with is straight"Four explains. "And aim where you want to punch"

A jolt went through my body and I noticed that he had punched me in the jaw. Pain flew right through my face and I fall back. I wasn't expecting him to hit me.

The transfers laugh and they start whispering to each other. I glare at four and he grins mischievously.

I shouldn't be mad that he punched me.

"So you guys think this is funny?" I raise my voice, rubbing my jaw.

They go silent. I then hear two boys giggling like little kids behind a group of girls. Then I see that a Candor and Erudite boy were laughing it off.

"You" I point to the Erudite boy. "Jack right?"

"Correct maam " He smiles ignorantly. He had mid length brown hair, light eyes and freckles.

"If you think this is so funny, you must have all of this down I assume?"

"I'm sure I do!" He replies, and stands there for a few seconds, staring at everyone around him.

"Get up here" Four turns to him.

A frightened look crawled upon the boys face as Four spoke to him. He seemed scared of him, but when he came up here he didn't seem a bit scared of me.

Maybe because I wasn't much older than him, or maybe it was just the way I looked.

"Show me what you've got" I raise my eyebrows.

"Alright then" He cracks his knuckles.

Jack confidently tries to strike a punch to my face, but then I catch his fist in time and pull it towards me.

I push my knee into his stomach and then connect my knuckles to his nose, making him fall back and hit the arena floor.

Pain shoots from my knuckles and travels up my forearm, but the feeling quickly goes away.

oooh!! The transfers say in sync. The boys nose starts bleeding and he backs away on his bottom, scooting himself off of the arena like a coward.

"Damn go y/n!!" I hear Christina call from the knife throwing area. I smile.

Four grins at me showing he was impressed. I had to prove somehow that I was going to be good at this.

"All of you now know what will happen if you underestimate a superior" I shake my hand.

They stood there in silence. I looked at each and every one of them, their faces either staring at the floor or Four and I.

"Partner up and practice your punches" I step down from the arena and I touch my jaw. Four's impact was definitely going to show some bruising.

"You alright? I hope I didn't break your jaw" Four asks. I thought he would walk away without a care.

"Felt like what you were going for" I chuckle.

He laughs a bit too.

We watched the initiates in silence.

"....You should know how to dodge a punch like that" He starts, his face going blank.

My mood quickly changes. I lift my head a bit to look at him.

"I do. I just wasn't planning for that to happen"

"Exactly, so you should have been ready anyway" His voice gets deeper. "You were as incompetent as Jack"

"But I wasn't ready!"

"You know I wonder how you've made it passed initiation. Maybe it was William? Or wait, maybe Alice" He walks passed me, his arm hitting my shoulder.

He was right, but he didn't have to question my success or mention my friends like that. His anger was either coming from grief or his cold heart.

I felt an anger deep inside me, I had the urge to just go up to him and slap him in the face. But then I think about Tris.

Hopefully his anger was just coming from grief, I thought.