➳ altruism

Altruism- selflessness, principle concern for the welfare of others.

The next day was, once again, raining. At the start of this whole 'summer job' thing, I was hoping that there was going to be something that kept me going for the majority of my wasted time, something that meant I wasn't going to be bored off my head during the time that I spent either freezing or boiling in the harsh conditions that were a result of the glass ceiling. Yet, it did not seem as though that was going to be the case. There was nothing to see as a reward for going and working, especially seeing as I didn't really want to go to such a high-graded and specific college.

Ryan was still asleep when I got up on this particular day, about a week and a half since my encounter with Gerard and Mikey in the street. Although there had been numerous reports of trouble, I'd not actually seen them since the shifty-feeling incident with the rattling bag. Whilst the whirlwind-esque behaviour of the boys definitely added some excitement to my life, it was probably for the best that we'd not met up since then. Something told me that no amount of credit would make up for rollerskating down the escalators and decapitating some old lady like it wouldn't have surprised me for them to do.

Bored though I was, I was safe. But whether or not safe was actually what I wanted was a different matter. For now, though, I could settle for stealing the toast that my someone had made for themselves, and walking to the shopping mall.

Walking was the best part of the day if you ignored the fact I looked like an idiot. It wouldn't have taken a genius to know that teenagers didn't tend to usually wear sky-blue shirts with scratchy leather jackets with the mall logo embroidered onto the pocket. Much less the crisply-ironed straight black pants, and even less so the shiny leather shoes. My initial plan was to add something of my own every day until I was dressed more or less as I did usually, but Rob was better at his job than I'd anticipated. My earrings hadn't even got past his routine uniform-inspection.

However, the walk that wasn't necessarily long but was not as short as it could have been in means of convenience meant that I could, for once, listen to my music without fear of being told off. Going back to the Iron Maiden Immersion Accident that I'd previously mentioned though, meant that I had to have only one in, and there was a slight possibility that someone might actually talk to me.

That's exactly what happened when I turned the corner onto the street adjacent to mine. It was my mum's friend, Ros, who was far too smiley and flowery and nice. Forcing a smile onto my face and pulling out my earphone reluctantly, I prepared myself for the inevitable horror of the conversation. Ros was a typical 'perfect mother', and shall we say, didn't agree with my... 'Choices.'

However, sadly for Ros, my gayness was as unmoving as my social ineptitude.

"Frankie!"

Oh god. Everything about this woman irritated me beyond belief. For the main reason she was horrible and homophobic and was probably only initiating this conversation so she could witter on about her kids and how amazing they were in comparison to how much of a disappointment I was, but also because she called me Frankie, and I could not stand anyone calling me Frankie. No one. No exceptions. Ever.

"Hiya, Ros," I replied. Hopefully my gritted teeth would have gone unnoticed and my flat voice mistaken for mirthful excitement. Maybe it did make me a bad person but I really couldn't even pretend where Ros was concerned.

"Haven't you grown!" Her voice was unbearably shrill as she made pointless remarks. One- no. I hadn't grown, and had not grown since I was about eight. Two- she had seen me last week. I was most certain that I had quite definitely not grown since last week.