➳kalon

I just want to thank you all for being so cool about how long this has taken me to write and then how nice you were about it and I was going to dedicate this chapter to someone before I realised that you're all amazing so really it's dedicated to all of you because I love you and thank you all so much<3

(Ironically, this has been my favourite to write so far, so god knows why it took me so long...)

Kalon- beauty that is more than skin deep.

For once, when my eyes fluttered open they weren't assaulted with the pounding of the rain on the windows. Supposedly it was summer, but I disagreed. This morning was sunny, however, and cast glittering prisms of colour across the room. Gerard was still asleep next to me, his arm tucked under mine and his feet knotted in the sheet. His mouth was open and his hair was a mess, splayed against the pillow. For some reason, I'd imagined Gerard as the kind of person to wake up at the crack of dawn and walk around the city or the woods being dramatic and photographic, but apparently that was not the case.

The clock on the wall told me that it was eleven o clock, and I realised with some degree of triumph that I was supposed to be at work. Well, I mean, I was supposed to be at work until I'd walked out on my boss, but that was a technicality.

I didn't know if I should wake him up or not. He'd mentioned that we were supposed to be doing something today, so time was important, but he looked as though he needed some sleep. A few moments passed as I remarked on the near-smirk that his mouth hinted at even in sleep, before deciding that my best bet would be to let him wake up by himself. In all honesty, I really didn't care what we did, so long as I was with him. I had the feeling that Gerard could make anything amazing.

Yet, as much as I planned to leave him where he was, I was not about to do the same. My body was protesting about the fact I'd drank a large glass of orange juice immediately before going to bed, so I tried to wiggle downwards and out of the bed, without losing my balance and falling on Gerard. It was going well until I tried to step down onto the floor, at which point I lost my already unsteady footing and stumbled forwards. There was a bang as my outstretched palms hit the wall, causing me to wince in pain at the sudden shock to my still-tired system.

"Good morning," Gerard mumbled groggily, sitting up. It was odd to see him in this newly-vulnerable state, with his eyes all puffy and his hair sticking up. He didn't really look like Gerard like this, he looked simply too cute (cuter than usual-yes) and he affixed me with a bleary-eyed stare.

"As bizarre as it sounds, I didn't think you ever slept," I remarked completely as he rubbed his eyes.

"You what?"

I shrugged, feeling very stupid on account of the fact that I was still standing sprawled against his wall, and had implied that he was some kind of undead creature. To be fair, there was something vaguely vampire-ish about him, and as much as I couldn't place it, there was still a small part of me that was completely in love with the idea.

"I hate to burst your bubble, loverboy, but one does not acquire such impressive bedhead as this without an obscenely 'teenager' amount of sleep."

Gerard's voice was raspy with sleep, and almost unbearably attractive, and of course it helped that he looked still completely wrecked, with his hair unkempt and his eyes dark with yesterday's eyeliner. Even this early in the morning, when he had been awake for at most thirty seconds, his vocabulary was at peak, and the sarcasm already running thick in his words. Before Gerard, I had taken pride in the fact that my vocabulary was extensive, and meeting someone who also boasted that was oddly comforting, and meant that I wasn't going to be completely misunderstood, as I often was in typical social situations. I say typical- I mean the rare.