➳epilogue

Epilogue- A section of speech at the end of a book or play that serves as a comment on or a summary of what has happened.❞  

I honestly don't think I'd ever worn sunglasses before in my life. 

However, sitting at the driver's seat meant that I had to be a responsible adult (I was twenty next month) and so being blinded by the sun as I tried to drive would not be the best idea ever. I wanted to drive as safely as I possibly could, seeing as I had a long way to go.

A really long way to go. In fact, I didn't actually know if I was ever going to stop, but I didn't mind. I was basically becoming a nomad, but it was what I'd wanted since I was a kid, so it wasn't a problem. I fully intended on staying in the homes of locals, sleeping in my van, dodgy hotels- I was up for anything if it was a bit of an adventure. 

I was parked up outside my mom's house. I'd moved out at eighteen, and kept to myself pretty much. I'd not gone to college- it had been too late for that, but I didn't regret my decision. Even though my judgement had been clouded rather by the boy with the black hair, it hadn't negatively affected my future so far. I'd gone on several writing courses since then, and I was as qualified as I needed to be, so there wasn't really much more I could have asked for. As I sat in my car and tapped my fingers impatiently against the steering wheel, I looked back on the house that had been the roof over my childhood.

There had been all that drama with my dad and my mom and the Ways, years ago. Of course we hadn't forgotten, and there had been legal issues. My mom was now in a high-security psychiatric ward, on account of the fact she was basically a psychopath. (There was more to it than that, but it flummoxed me.) I'd been to see her, we'd made peace (sort of) and she seemed better off there, honestly. Ryan had moved in with my dad, even though he wasn't his dad, but it was that or put him into care again. He was nearly fifteen, so it wouldn't be too long until the house fell into his possession, but until then, he was switching houses from living with Stuart to living with his biological gran, who we'd found over the internet.

I didn't call him dad, though. I called him Stuart, because honestly- he wasn't my dad. Not really. I still saw him once a week when I called to see Ryan, but that was about the extent of our relationship, really. There was too much water under the bridge for that.

The house was now empty, but I wanted to say goodbye nonetheless. There had been a lot of memories made there. Admittedly, towards the end they became a little horrific, but I could look past that now. At the time I felt the world was ending, and I suppose it was. I couldn't be without that boy I'd loved, and the fact that my family was falling apart too only made it worse.

It was silent in the car as I looked out of the window, my foot resting on the pedal. I'd go in a moment or two, I couldn't sit here all day because I had a plane to catch- a plane to Argentina. I smiled at the thought. I might have made that bucket list when my head was completely screwed up with the idea of over-romanticizing everything but really, who was I if not overly-romantic about everything? Credit where credit was due, the black haired Way boy had made such an impact on me that it had stuck past that point in my life, and my bucket list had come with me through those rough few years.

I swallowed, and managed to tear my gaze away from my house and slowly push down onto the pedal, teasing the car forwards. I didn't really want to move, but if I stayed any longer I would miss my flight. So I started off down the road, silently and with only reminiscent thoughts swirling around in my head.

In fact, I'd gotten halfway down the street until I was interrupted. I thought that was a personal record for him, actually.

"You've got the tickets, right?"

I rolled my eyes. "Yes, I've got the tickets." Those tickets were for Muse, due in next September. The thought made me grin like a kid.

"And the boarding passes?"

"Yes, and the boarding passes." They were for in about forty minutes, but that thought made me grin like a kid too. 

"You ready for our road trip?"

"I am indeed," I wasn't even trying to conceal my manic grinning by this point.

It was quiet for a moment, both of us focusing on the road. 

"You know what, Frank?" He said suddenly.

"What?"

I turned to him, only to find that he was grinning too.

"I think we've made it."

I fumbled for his hand behind the gearstick before I spoke.

"Me too, Gerard. Me too."

THE END.